Looking for a job is a job in itself. It's only the first step to develop the skills that you need in your line of work. Then you have to know where to look for a job and what to do to develop contacts that will help you get your foot in the door. Basically, you are creating and honing a product (you) and marketing it with the skills of a salesperson.
- TechRepublic offers outstanding resources for reaching these goals. Here are some of the best. Just click the links:
- 24 key career links for IT professionals
- Making smart career decisions: Answers to 20 questions from IT pros
- 10 essential competencies for IT pros
- Ten skills that can help you land an IT manager job
- Avoid these six common IT interview mistakes
- Five tips for developing the soft skills IT pros need
- Choose your words carefully when crafting a resume
Toni Bowers is the former Managing Editor of TechRepublic and is the award-winning blogger of the Career Management blog. She has edited newsletters, books, and web sites pertaining to software, IT career, and IT management issues.