I found a nice little succinct list at Businessmouth.com, of five simple rules for a great job interview. These five practical tips may not get you the job if you're not qualified but they'll go a long way toward making a good impression on the interviewer:
- Eye contact - Look directly at your interviewer. Don't cast your eyes down.
- Sit up straight - Don't slouch in your chair - it makes you look lazy and uninterested. Good posture makes you look like a confident person.
- Don't fidget - Keep your hands in your lap when you're not making a point in the conversation. Fidgeting looks unprofessional.
- Speak up - Don't mumble your words. Speak directly at your interviewer with a clear, strong voice.
- Smile and show some personality - It's ok to be a little nervous, but remember to stay loose and be yourself. Personality counts for a lot.
When I first read the list I felt like I was channeling my mother. How many times had I heard that same advice from her? But you know what? The advice is good. Try it.