...projects in the public sector" should be a greater priority.
As for broadband, Adebayo said that unless there are the systems and data readily available to help inform urgent decisions, its benefits will be limited. She cited the fact that criminal records checks for potential employees in the care sector still take several months to process because there is no joined-up database containing records of people not suitable to work in the sector.
"I'd like to know high-speed broadband is going to provide me with speedy access to useful information rather than being high-speed access to nowhere," she said.
Mike Roberts, IT director at The London Clinic, believes the government should concentrate on issues such as data protection and IT security ahead of broadband provision, adding its use is for media delivery rather than effective business access.
However Stephen Potter, senior director for IT at business consultancy Insight, defended the government's role in ensuring high-speed broadband covers the UK.
"Fast broadband is now a utility requirement for anyone living in the UK and so must be available to all, regardless of where they live. Relying purely on market forces will not achieve 100 per cent coverage, so government has a legitimate role to play in getting us to that goal."
Today's CIO Jury was:
- Ibukun Adebayo, director of information technology, Turning Point
- Florentin Albu, ICT manager, Eumetsat
- Alastair Behenna, CIO, Harvey Nash
- Nicholas Bellenberg, IT director, Hachette Filipacchi
- Steve Gediking, head of IT and facilities, Independent Police Complaints Commission
- Madhushan Gokool, IT manager, Storm Model Management
- John Keeling, CIO, John Lewis
- David Pirie, group IT director, BCA
- Stephen Potter, senior director of IT EMEA & APAC and head of product development, Insight
- Jacques Rene, CTO, Ascend
- Mike Roberts, IT director, The London Clinic
- Mike Tonkiss, IT director, Neopost
Want to be part of silicon.com's CIO Jury and have your say on the hot issues for IT departments? If you are a CIO, CTO, IT director or equivalent at a large or small company in the private or public sector and you want to be part of silicon.com's CIO Jury pool, or you know an IT chief who should be, then drop us a line at email@example.com.