Earlier, as part of the 2010 Geek Gift Guide series, we reviewed the NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Kit, giving it a general geek rating of only two stars. But that low rating had nothing to do with the LCD monitor we had to buy just so the 3D glasses would actually work. The ViewSonic FuHzion 120Hz LCD (VX2265wm) operates at a true 120Hz, making it a perfect companion monitor for the NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision glasses. But the 22-inch FuHzion is much more than a sidekick for a pair of 3D glasses.
- Product: VX2265wm FuHzion 120Hz 3D-ready LCD
- Manufacturer: ViewSonic Corporation
- Display size and resolution: 22 inches, 1680x1050
- Response time: 3ms (gray-to-gray); 5ms black-to-white
- Brightness: 300cd/m2
- Contrast ratio: 1000:1
- Input: Video - Dual-link DVI; Audio - mini-RCA plug connected to two 2-Watt speakers
- Dimensions: 20.2 x 17.3 x 7.9 inches
- Price: around $250
What I like
- Performance: Operating at a true 120Hz frequency means that the FuHzion has very fast response times under 5ms, which makes tearing and other visual artifacts a non-issue even to the most discriminating eye.
- 3D compatibility: The FuHzion is compatible with the NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision glasses, which means that you can get 3D that works for your PC gaming now.
- Built-in speakers: There is a line-in analog RCA min-jack connection that allows the FuHzion to function as your audio source. The speakers are adequate for most situations, but I prefer an outside speaker system for serious gaming.
What I don't like
- Ergonomics: The ability to manipulate the physical orientation of the FuHzion LCD is very limited - basically only the tilt angle can be adjusted, and not by much.
- Inputs: The only video input is the Dual-Link DVI digital connection, which is the required connection for 3D viewing. It would have been a nice addition to have an HDMI connection and a standard VGA connection, if nothing else, just for the sake of flexibility.
- Picture quality: While the speed performance for the FuHzion is in the upper echelon, ViewSonic made some compromises when it came to brightness and contrast ratios. The overall quality is adequate, but the monitor is not really made for watching movies. If 3D means nothing to you, then your $250 could be spent on a higher-quality display.
Geek bottom line
The ViewSonic VX2265wm FuHzion 120Hz 3D-ready LCD is an adequate 22-inch monitor that will not disappoint most users, even if it doesn't really thrill them. However, the 3D-ready aspect adds a geek-friendly dimension that cannot be ignored. If 3D gaming really is the future, the FuHzion is a pioneer in that future. For a technology geek, pioneering a new innovative technology is seldom a bad thing.
Geek rating (out of 5)
- Fun factor: ***
- Geek factor: ****
- Value: ***
- Overall: ***
Want more reviews of tech gadgets and gizmos? Download the PDF of TechRepublic's Geek Gift Guide 2010.
Mark W. Kaelin has been writing and editing stories about the IT industry, gadgets, finance, accounting, and tech-life for more than 25 years. Most recently, he has been a regular contributor to BreakingModern.com, aNewDomain.net, and TechRepublic.