Many geeks pride themselves on being able to carry on entire conversations using only film quotes. Read these nine geek movie quotes and then share your favorite lines from geeky films.
As I pointed out in our discussion of the ultimate geek movie, many geeks can carry out an entire conversation by only quoting certain movies; in fact, when it comes to Monty Python, I think it's one of the things that all geeks should be able to do. But it's important to mix things up; after all, only quoting one movie can get dull. So, here is a list of classic geek movie quotes to get you started on expanding your ability to speak in geek movie talk.
- "No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment." - Man with dead body, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I like to use this one when my geek is sick.
- "We'll call it a draw" - The Black Knight, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. This is a great way to end any dispute.
- "Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women." - Quint, Jaws. This one is just plain funny. You can also use it in a pinch when you're put on the spot to give a toast.
- "At least I'm housebroken." - The Dude, The Big Lebowski. Friends of ours put this on their wedding favors.
- "Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist." - Westley, The Princess Bride. This is a great one for teaching the kids about irony.
- "Remember what Bilbo used to say: 'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.'" - Frodo Baggins, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Not geeky in and of itself, but it's still a lovely sentiment. I try to lose my feet every time I step out into the world.
- "Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy (animal)." - Jules, Pulp Fiction. Edited for our office-friendly environment.
- "Honey, you got real ugly." - Ash, Army of Darkness. I admit to hearing this on occasion first thing in the morning, when my curly hair is wild, and I still have morning breath.
- "It's Doctor Evil. I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called 'mister,' thank you very much." - Dr. Evil, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. Show some respect.
This is not a definitive list -- these are just the quotes that most frequently come to my mind. Please share your favorite geek quotes in the discussion.
- The Power of the Word
- The Top 10 Most Quotable Geek Films...Ever!
- Webcomic: The "power" of movie quotes
- WIRED's 100 quotes every geek should know