Here are the top 10 New Year's resolutions for the modern geek:
10. Adjust my physical form to more resemble Red Five (Luke Skywalker) than Red Six (Jek Porkins).
9. Read a book that isn't science fiction, fantasy, or a technical manual.
8. Make sure my roster of offline friends is within at least an order of magnitude of my Facebook/MySpace/Twitter/TechRepublic friends.
7. Watch a movie that can pass the Bechdel Test.
6. Commit to one processor, one motherboard, and one graphics card for the entire year. (RAM upgrades are allowed.)
5. Accept the fact that some people are always going to be wrong on the Internet, and plan my forum posting volume accordingly.4. Limit my use of LOL, WTF, FTW, and teh to written conversation.
2. Try a different operating system, if only to learn exactly why it isn't as awesome as the one I normally use.
Those are my resolutions for 2009. What are yours?
Jay Garmon has a vast and terrifying knowledge of all things obscure, obtuse, and irrelevant. One day, he hopes to write science fiction, but for now he'll settle for something stranger — amusing and abusing IT pros. Read his full profile. You can also follow him on his personal blog.