The Cult of Linux blogger has compiled a fun list of "20 Awesome Devices That Run Linux (But Weren't Designed To)."
A common attitude among people who believe in free software is to stick it to “the man.” For some people, that translates into spending a ton of free time porting Linux to devices that were never designed for it.
Are you a risk-taking hacker with expensive devices? Are there any successful hacks you want to add to this list? Here are the top five:
- AppleTV: http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/AppleTV
- Browser: http://www.workspot.com/screenshots/gimp.html
- Gmail: http://www.hackaday.com/2005/04/14/run-linux-on-gmail/
- GameCube: http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/04/01/warp_pipe.html
- Dreamcast: http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7466555948.html
Selena has been at TechRepublic since 2002. She is currently a Senior Editor with a background in technical writing, editing, and research. She edits Data Center, Linux and Open Source, Apple in the Enterprise, The Enterprise Cloud, Web Designer, and IT Security blogs.