Numbering a list is an easy task in Word. But changing how those numbers look is a bit more complicated. Learn how to create your own custom number format.
- Select all the items in the list.
- From the Format menu, choose Bullets And Numbers.
- In the resulting dialog box, click the Numbered tab.
- Select a numbering option that you seldom or never use, because you're going to modify it.
- Click Customize.
- In the Customize Numbered List dialog box, click before the number in the Number Format control.
- Type several underscore characters and a space.
- Click OK and Word applies the custom numbering scheme to the selected items.