- Select all the items in the list.
- From the Format menu, choose Bullets And Numbers.
- In the resulting dialog box, click the Numbered tab.
- Select a numbering option that you seldom or never use, because you're going to modify it.
- Click Customize.
- In the Customize Numbered List dialog box, click before the number in the Number Format control.
- Type several underscore characters and a space.
- Click OK and Word applies the custom numbering scheme to the selected items.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.