Draw attention to specific PowerPoint chart elements or table data by adding a bit of animation.
Animation, used correctly, can make text or a graph really stand out. But you may not realize that you can animate a chart or table. For instance, you might want to highlight individual product or regional totals using a graph that analyzes them all as a group. Animating a table by displaying additional information for each row -- row by row -- can be effective.
To add animation to a chart, do the following:
You can animate the chart as a whole or individual elements, and most of the time that's adequate. However, you can't use different animations for each element. In addition, you can't easily animate individual rows of a table this way. To animate a table or to provide more enhanced animation to a chart, upgroup the chart or table first. Then, you can animate each element individually. To ungroup a chart or table, do the following:
- Click Slide Show on the Standard toolbar and choose Custom Animation. In PowerPoint 2007, click the Animations tab and choose Custom Animation.
- Select the chart.
- To add a Wipe effect, when PowerPoint displays the chart, click Add Effect, choose Entrance, select Wipe, and click OK. (If you don’t see the Wipe animation, choose More Effects.)
- By default, PowerPoint will add the animation to the chart as a whole. To animate elements, right-click the appropriate animation item in the task pane and choose Effect Options.
- Click the Chart Animation tab.
- Choose the appropriate object from the Group Chart drop-down control to animate the chart as a single object, by series, by category, or by the elements in the series or category. Click OK.
Use caution when deciding to ungroup a chart or table. Once you do so, PowerPoint will no longer treat the combined elements as a chart or table. You won’t be able to update an ungrouped chart by changing its underlying data and you might lose special formatting.
You can’t ungroup a chart or table in PowerPoint 2007.
- Right-click the chart or table and choose Grouping.
- Select Ungroup.
- When asked if you want to convert the chart or table, click Yes.