- Click Slide Show on the Standard toolbar and choose Custom Animation. In PowerPoint 2007, click the Animations tab and choose Custom Animation.
- Select the chart.
- To add a Wipe effect, when PowerPoint displays the chart, click Add Effect, choose Entrance, select Wipe, and click OK. (If you don’t see the Wipe animation, choose More Effects.)
- By default, PowerPoint will add the animation to the chart as a whole. To animate elements, right-click the appropriate animation item in the task pane and choose Effect Options.
- Click the Chart Animation tab.
- Choose the appropriate object from the Group Chart drop-down control to animate the chart as a single object, by series, by category, or by the elements in the series or category. Click OK.
- Right-click the chart or table and choose Grouping.
- Select Ungroup.
- When asked if you want to convert the chart or table, click Yes.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.