You can rearrange, resize, and even remove all of the columns in Outlook's message list in Mail view -- all except the flag column. Moving that column requires more work:
- Right-click any field in the message list and choose Customize Current View from the resulting submenu.
- Click the Other Settings button in the Customize View: Messages dialog box.
- In the Other Settings dialog box, uncheck the Show Quick Flag Column option in the Other Options section.
- Click OK twice.
If you still see a flag, it's the Flag Status field. Outlook doesn't display it by default, so if it's visible, someone has already customized your message list a bit.
Use the Flag Status field just as you would the Quick Flag column. The difference between the two is that you can position the Flag Status field where you like.
If the Flag Status field isn't visible, you can add it (or any field) as follows:
- Right-click any field at the top of the message list and select Field Chooser.
- In the resulting Field Chooser dialog box, drag Follow Up Flag onto the message list header row.
The Follow Up Flag field is somewhat similar to the Quick Flag column and the Flag Status field. However, instead of displaying a flag, Follow Up Flag displays the text "Follow Up." For me, the field has limited appeal; I don't know why anyone would use it.