Instead of sending out an incessant stream of memos and e-mails, present the latest bulletins within your users' forms. Here's how to set it up.
Are you constantly sending quick e-mail updates on the latest company policy to your employees? Instead of sending out an e-mail, just update a marquee on the customer service forms used by your staff. For example, say you want to remind them that the clearance sale ends tomorrow. Follow these steps:
- Open the form in Design View.
- Click on the Image control and then click and drag in the form to create the control for the marquee background.
- Click Cancel.
- Click on the Label control and then click and drag in the Image control to create the label.
- Click in the label and type 50% Clearance Sale Ends Tomorrow!
- Change the backcolor, borders, font, and other format properties of the controls, as desired (Figure A).
- Right-click the form and select Properties.
- Click the Selection Type box and select Form.
- Click the Event tab and then click in the On Timer Property box and select Event Procedure.
- Click the Build button and enter the following code at the Prompt:
Private Sub Form_Timer()
Label24.Left = Label24.Left - 20
If Label24.Left < Label24.Width Then
Label24.Left = Image23.Width
End IfEnd Sub
- Press Alt + Q.
- Click in the Timer Interval property box and type 50 (Figure B).
When you run your form, a marquee displays your message on the latest update. To modify the look and speed of the marquee, adjust the format and timer properties as required. To update the marquee message, open the form in Design View, click to select the label, and then click again to change the label text.
Miss an Access tip?
Check out the Microsoft Access archive and catch up on other Access tips.
Help users increase productivity by automatically signing up for TechRepublic's free Microsoft Office Suite newsletter, featuring Word, Excel, and Access tips, delivered each Wednesday.