To improve readability, number records in an Access report. It's as simple as dropping in a text box and setting a few properties.
- Open the report in Design view.
- Add a text box to the Detail section, where you want the number to appear -- usually, that's just to the left of the record.
- With the text box selected, click Properties to open the control's properties sheet.
- Enter the expression =1 as the Control Source property.
- Change the Running Sum property to Over All. If you're numbering records in a grouped report and you want to number each group separately, choose Over Group.