- Open the report in Design view.
- Add a text box to the Detail section, where you want the number to appear — usually, that's just to the left of the record.
- With the text box selected, click Properties to open the control's properties sheet.
- Enter the expression =1 as the Control Source property.
- Change the Running Sum property to Over All. If you're numbering records in a grouped report and you want to number each group separately, choose Over Group.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.