- Right-click the commented cell.
- Choose Show/Hide Comments. Most of the time, you won't want text in the same comment with a picture, but Excel will display both.
- Click the comment's border to select it.
- Choose Comment from the Format menu. Or right-click the selected comment and choose Format Comment from the resulting context menu.
- Click the Colors And Lines tab.
- Open the Color drop-down list (in the Fill section) and choose Fill Effects (at the bottom).
- Click the Picture tab and then click Select Picture.
- Locate and select the picture.
- Check the Lock Picture Aspect Ratio option to keep the picture in proportion. This isn't necessary, but most of the time, you'll want to choose this option.
- Click Insert.
- Click OK twice.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.