Here's the solution to last week's vexing Word challenge, along with a new Excel challenge.
- In Windows Explorer, right-click the file.
- Choose Properties.
- On the General tab, click Change (to the right of the Opens With option).
- Choose Microsoft Office Word in the Programs list.
- Click OK twice.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\winword.exe" /unregserverThe quotes are required, and you'll need to update the path to reflect your system. (Use Search to find winword.exe if necessary.) The /unregserver switch removes Word references from the registry. To rewrite Word's default registry values, run the following command immediately after running the above command: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\winword.exe" /regserver Now, if that doesn't work and you've replaced Normal.dot, run the Detect And Repair utility. You'll find it on Word's Help menu. Don't change the default settings and click Start when prompted. You might need your installation CD handy. The truth is, I've never had Detect And Repair fix a thing, so let's move on. If the double-click still isn't working, it's possible that Word is just confused in regard to its New and Open commands. To correct this problem, complete the following steps:
- Open Word.
- Open Windows Explorer (leave Word open).
- Choose Folder Options from the Tools menu in Windows Explorer.
- Click the File Types tab.
- Select the appropriate file type from the Registered File Types list (.doc or .docx, in this case).
- If necessary, click Restore and then click Advanced. (Restore won't always be available.)
- In the Edit File Type dialog box, double-click Open in the Actions list.
- Make sure the Action control contains the setting &Open.
- The Application Used To Perform Action should contain the following path: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\winword.exe" /n /dde (allowing for adjustments for your system).
- The Use DDE option should be checked.
- The Application setting should be WinWord, and the Topic setting should be System.
- Click OK twice and then click Close.