- Right-click any bar in the series to select the entire series.
- Choose Format Data Series from the resulting context menu.
- On the Patterns tab, choose a color, such as light gray, from the palette in the Area section and click OK.
- Click the item in question, which will select the entire series. In this case, select December, the highest value, or June, the lowest value.
- Click the item a second time to select just that value.
- Right-click the item and choose Format Data Point.
- On the Patterns tab, choose an appropriately happy or cheerful color and click OK.
Susan Sales Harkins is an IT consultant, specializing in desktop solutions. Previously, she was editor in chief for The Cobb Group, the world's largest publisher of technical journals.