The Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side arm is a solution perfectly suited for users who require at least two monitors on their desk.
The Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm replaces the static stands that come with most LCD monitors. It allows an amazing range of flexibility in positioning two displays of up to 24-inches for maximum comfort and ergonomics.
- Shipping Weight: 21 lbs (9.5kg)
- Maximum Monitor Weight: 40 lbs (18.1kg)
- Maximum Supported LCD Size: 24" Maximum
- Lift from desktop: 13" (33cm)
- Tilt: 80 degrees
- Pan: 360 degrees
- Rotation: 90 degrees
- Extend/Retract Reach: 18" (45.7cm)
- Price: about $300
- More Information: Ergoron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm Page
- TechRepublic Photo Gallery
Who's it for?
The Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side arm is a solution perfectly suited for users who require at least two monitors on their desk, yet are frustrated by the limitations imposed by default monitor stands. Designers and engineers who constantly find themselves wishing their monitors can be adjusted, or leaning forward to squint at their displays, will love it.
What problem does it solve?
In order to keep costs down, most LCD monitors on the market comes only with basic static stands. With minimum or non-existent flexibility to make adjustments to the positioning and angle of the display, viewing comfort and ergonomics takes an inevitable hit. The use of the Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side arm restores the ability to make adjustments back to the user.
- Excellent, Solid Construction: The LX Dual Side-by-Side arm is solid and well-built. I find myself impressed by how well the various components fit together; you won't have any concerns of it falling apart on you.
- Ease of Installation: The product is very well thought-out with detailed assembly instructions. While I note below that the weight (with LCD monitor screwed in) is substantial, with some care, most folks shouldn't have problems putting it together.
- Maximum Flexibility: The flexibility of the arms means that LCD monitors can be rotated from landscape to portrait mode, or extended forward or pushed out of the way with maximum flexibility. Well-designed grooves for the requisite power and DVI cables, means that the full range of motion in the arms can be exercised without fear of inadvertently ripping them off.
- Upgradable: The LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm can be augmented with an LX Extension arm to increase its reach by another 9-inches (23cm). Alternatively, an LX Notebook Tray can be purchased to hold a laptop in place of an LCD monitor.
- Risk of damage to desk: The Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arms is a desktop stand. Due to the weight of the LCD monitors it has to support, the product requires mounting either onto the edge of the desk, or using the grommet holes on your desk. As such, you should be prepared that some scratches might be inevitable.
- Price: As I write this, Amazon is selling the Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm for about $318. This is more than the retail prices of many 24-inch LCD displays, and might prove a deterrent to getting it.
- Weight: The weight of the LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm with two mounted LCD monitors is not trivial. While I didn't encounter any problems setting it up by myself, you might want to consider getting a colleague to help. (Ergotron just released an aluminum version of this product in March with a reduced shipping weight of 17.25lbs)
- Planar AS2 Black Dual Monitor Stand
- Visidec VF-AT-D
- Chief KCY220B Height-Adjustable Dual Arm Dual Monitor Desk Mount
Bottom line for business
The use of a monitor stand like the Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arms might seem completely unnecessary at first glance. But in terms of ergonomics and flexibility in positioning my monitors, this product offers productivity advantages to a dual-monitor setup.
In addition, the ability to extend/retract up to 18-inches means that LCD monitors can be easily pushed out of the way when not in use, freeing space on the physical desktop for other tasks such as reading the morning newspapers, for example.
Considering the low prices of netbooks (but have you tried squinting at one for extended hours), the price of the Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm might seem a tad pricey. However, if you value a comfortable and flexible working environment, then I would heartily recommend that you get it.
Have you encountered or used Ergotron LX Dual Side-by-Side Arm? If so, what do you think? Rate your experience and compare the results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review in the TechRepublic Community Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review.
Read our field-tested reviews of hardware and software in TechRepublic's Product Spotlight newsletter, delivered each Thursday. We explain who would use the product and describe what problem the product is designed to solve. Automatically sign up today!