The Logitech V450 Nano Cordless Laser Mouse for Notebooks is the perfect companion for executives who are always on the move, yet demand more than the comfort of the typical notebook touchpad.
The Logitech V450 Nano Cordless Laser Mouse for Notebooks is a high precision wireless mouse for the travelling executive. Instead of Bluetooth, the V450 relies on the use of well-established RF technology for an extremely stable connection while the laser lens provides tracking that is superior to that of optical lenses.
- Frequency Range: 2.4GHz
- Battery: Two AA batteries (included)
- Battery life: Up to 12 months
- Interface: One "Plug-and-Forget" USB-based Nano-receiver
- Price: $35 - $50
- More Info: Logitech V450 Nano Cordless Laser Mouse Home Page
- For a closer look, check out the TechRepublic Logitech V450 Photo Gallery
Who's it for?
The Logitech V450 Nano Cordless Laser Mouse for Notebooks is the perfect companion for executives who are always on the move, yet demand more than the comfort of the typical notebook touchpad. Due to its unobtrusive USB-based Nano receiver, which is only just finding its way into products from competitors, the V450 represents the perfect balance between a portable yet comfortable peripheral.
What problem does it solve?
Working exclusively on a notebook touchpad not only slows down one's productivity, but is also fatiguing and could lead to RSI in the long run. However, a wired mouse is cumbersome to setup and the cords can get in the way - especially when space is limited. Being wireless, the Logitech V450 allows for complete freedom of usage while the tiny size of the nano-receiver also means that the receiver can be left in place when packing up in a hurry.
- Robust connectivity - Despite being based on the common 2.4GHz frequency range, I never had any problems with connectivity. In fact, when giving presentations, I am able to walk at least five meters away from my laptop while holding the mouse and still be able to toggle between the slides.
- Nano receiver - The nano receiver allows me to plug it into the USB port of my notebook and totally forget about it. It proved completely unobtrusive on all but the smallest of my laptop bags; even so, I simply had to be more careful when packing my notebook.
- Uses RF technology - Compared to a Bluetooth-based mouse - of which I have used two different models prior to this - the Radio Frequency (RF) based V450 allows me to quickly unplug and switch to another notebook or desktop as necessary without having to pair it.
- Great build quality - I must confess that I dropped my V450 more than a few times - and it's still going strong. However, this is something I cannot say of a few other brands of wireless mouse that I have used prior to this.
- Dedicated on/off button - There is a recessed single-button toggle to help you further conserve your battery life by switching it off.
- Invisible laser - Beyond the superior tracking performance of a laser lens compared to that of an optical one, the laser beam of the V450 is also invisible to the naked eyes.
- Long battery life - I use this mouse together with my laptop everywhere I go; both at my desk and when on the move. Despite usage of at least 8 to 10 hours a day, two AA alkaline batteries were able to last me an average of between 4 to 6 months.
- Weight - Due to the two AA batteries that fit snugly inside the mouse chassis, the V450 is hardly the lightest kid on the block. While its weight does detract from its usability in any way, I still wish that it could be somewhat lighter.
- Height of mouse - Another issue I had with the V450 is my wish it could be slightly flatter. This would certainly make it easier to fit into bags together with ultraportable or netbook devices.
- Logitech V550 Nano Cordless Laser Mouse
- Logitech VX Nano Cordless Laser Mouse
- Microsoft Mobile Memory Mouse 8000
Bottom line for business
In terms of achieving a balance between precision, reliability, cost effectiveness and an unobtrusive controller, the Logitech V450 cordless laser mouse represents the pinnacle of technology today. While I wish it could be somewhat smaller and lighter, these should not prove a barrier for most users.
Have you encountered the Logitech V450 Nano Cordless Laser Mouse? If so, what do you think? Rate the unit and compare the results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review of the Logitech V450 in the TechRepublic Community Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review above.
Read our field-tested reviews of hardware and software in TechRepublic's Product Spotlight newsletter, delivered each Thursday. We explain who would use the product and describe what problem the product is designed to solve. Automatically sign up today!