The small form factor of the Shuttle SN68SG2 Desktop PC is the perfect solution for tight cubicles, offices, and other spaces where a standard desktop will not fit.
The small form factor of the Shuttle SN68SG2 Desktop PC is the perfect solution for tight cubicles, offices, and other spaces where a standard desktop will not fit. But sometimes those tiny PCs suffer from serious heat issues. The desktop PCs from Shuttle take a very different approach to this problem and the results are impressive. The SN686G2 is one of the mid-range offerings from Shuttle that make the small form factor a viable solution for the business.
- Processor Interface: Socket AM2
- Supported Processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD Sempron, AMD Athlon 64 X2
- Memory Type: DDR2
- Memory Size: 2 x1024MB (2GB)
- Front side bus: 1000 MHz
- Memory speed: 800 MHz
- Northbridge: Nvidia Geforce 725
- Southbridge: Nvidia nForce 630a
- Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC888
- Hard Drive Interface: ATA/133
- Additional information
Who's it for?
The Shuttle is an ideal solution for any deployment requiring a small form factor, but needing speed, solid video, no extra cooling, and a low price point. This solution can be purchased in both a complete package or as bare bones.
What problem does it solve?
The Shuttle SN68SG2 solves the problem of squeezing a lot of performance into a tiny form factor without worrying about heat or noise.
- I.C.E 2 Cooling System: Uses convection to convey heat from the CPU via heat pipes into a large fan which draws the heat out of the system.
- Integrated Nvidia chipset: The on board video chipset is one of the finest examples of how on board video can succeed on a budget.
- Easy setup: The Shuttle bare bones are some of the easiest bare bone kits to build. Even with the small form factor the case and motherboard are setup such that the build process is simple and quick.
The biggest issue with the Shuttle is the limitation the size will place on expansion. This, however, shouldn't be an issue because the Shuttle is purchased with size being the primary selling point. But the buyer must be aware that expansion is limited.
Another issue is video. Although the on board video is adequate (does 3D graphics fairly well) if heavy duty video is needed, cooling issues will quickly become a problem. More powerful video cards will take up a large amount of space, which will hinder air flow in the small case.
Bottom line for business
If you are looking for a small form factor bare bones that can be built to be a fairly powerful machine, yet not suffer from excessive noise or heat, this Shuttle is for you. The I.C.E. 2 cooling system is one of the more efficient cooling systems on the market; it will keep your machine hovering around 40 degrees Celsius no matter what you throw at it.
Have you deployed a Shuttle SN68SG2 Desktop PC? If so, how would you rate your experience? Rate this product below and compare your results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review of the Shuttle SN68SG2 Desktop PC in the TechRepublic Community Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review.
Read our field-tested reviews of hardware and software in TechRepublic's Product Spotlight newsletter, delivered each Thursday. We explain who would use the product and describe what problem the product is designed to solve. Automatically sign up today!