TreeSize Professional is a drive space management tool that provides a variety of different views into your drive usage and utilities for freeing disk space. If you need control over where your drive space is being used, you will want to take a look at TreeSize Professional.
Note: This review was performed with a publically available trial version of the application.
- Product: TreeSize Professional Version 5.3.4
- Vendor: Jam Software
- Cost: $49.95 with 12 months of support; educational and volume discounts and site licenses available
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 2003, 2008
- Additional Information: Product Web site
- TechRepublic Photo Gallery
Who's it for?
Systems administrators and desktop technicians will like TreeSize's ability to find out where a system's drive space is disappearing to. Power users, hobbyists, and enthusiasts will also want to give it a look.
What problems does it solve?
Even though hard drives are getting bigger all the time, it is not always possible or desirable to upgrade the disks in a machine. In those situations, it can be a challenge to free up drive space when needed. TreeSize Professional makes it easy to see exactly where your space is going, as well as find duplicate files on a system.
- Simple UI: TreeSize is easy to use and the charts and graphs make sense.
- Duplicate File Finding: The duplicate file finder is a useful feature, especially for people with a ton of space-hogging media files scattered all over the place.
- Network Aware: TreeSize works on network drives and well as local drives.
- Cost: It's a great tool for sure, but the cost is a bit high given that so much of its functionality can be had elsewhere for free or close to free; I've even seen similar functionality in products like PerfectDisk.
Bottom line for business
If you wrangle hard drive space as part of your job, TreeSize is a good tool to have in your arsenal. It does exactly what you expect it to do, is easy to use, and uses multithreading to be quick in its processing. It has built-in file management tools to allow you to move, copy, and delete files as needed to help you free up space. The duplicate file finding is a great aid, especially for graphic artists and video editors who tend to have many working copies of the same files taking up large amounts of space.
TreeSize Professional is a great tool without a doubt. If you do not need the ability to run it on a Windows server or against network drives, you can save a good bit of money and use TreeSize Personal instead. But cost is still the glaring problem with TreeSize Professional.
All of the nice charts do not change the fact that it really only has two major functions, graphic displays of drive space, and duplicate file finding. The rest of its functionality supports these missions. It is fairly hard to justify the purchase price for this functionality, especially given how many other freeware, shareware, and open source applications also perform this functionality for less money or as part of a large suite of tools.
Have you encountered or used TreeSize Professional? If so, what do you think? Rate your experience and compare the results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review in the TechRepublic Community Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review.
Read our field-tested reviews of hardware and software in TechRepublic's Product Spotlight newsletter, delivered each Thursday. We explain who would use the product and describe what problem the product is designed to solve. Automatically sign up today!
Justin James is the Lead Architect for Conigent.