In many enterprises, it has become a fact of business life that every employee should be connected to the Internet. With the Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot, not only can you personally stay connected, but you can also keep five of your co-workers connected.
In many enterprises, it has become a fact of business life that every employee should be connected to the Internet on a nearly continuous basis. One way this can be accomplished is with a Mobile Broadband network phone or AirCard. And, with the addition of the Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot, not only can you personally stay connected, but you can also keep five of your co-workers connected.
- Size: 3.5 X 2.3 X .4 inches, 2 ounces
- 1x EV-DO Revision A (Rev. A) /0; 1xRTT; 800, 1900 MHz
- Wi-Fi Mode: 802.11 b/g
- Battery 1150 mAh:
- Typical usage time: four hours (one Wi-Fi client only)
- Standby time: 40 hrs
- Charge time - AC: 2.5 hours
- CDMA authentication and identification
- Dynamic MIP key update; CHAP
- Wi-Fi: WEP/WPA/WPA2-PSK, SPI firewall
- MAC/Port filtering
- NAPT/DHCP server enabled
- VPN Pass-through
- Operating Systems Supported in USB Mode with VZAccess Manager, Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS X 10.4 or higher
- The MiFi 2200 is available for $99.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers can select from various price plans:
- $39.99 monthly access for 250MB monthly allowance and $0.10 per megabyte overage
- $59.99 monthly access with a 5GB monthly allowance and $0.05 per megabyte overage
- Additional information
- Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot Photo Gallery
Who is it for
The Verizon MiFi 2200 is for any enterprise that needs to keep a mobile workforce connected to the Internet and the business intranet at all times. With one device and one payment plan, an enterprise can keep a mobile office connected and conducting business without worrying about configuring routers, IP addresses or WLAN connections.
What problem does it solve
If your mobile workforce needs to access the Internet and the business network no matter where they are, the Verizon MiFi 2200 will eliminate the need to find WiFi access. As long as the users are in the Verizon coverage area, they can make an Internet connection.
- Mobile Broadband: The MiFi 2200 contains the same Mobile Broadband capabilities as the other Verzion products in this category. That translates into download speeds of around 700Kb/s.
- Simplicity: The MiFi 2200 only has an on/off button. Once the device is activated through the VZ Access Manager, all you have to do to get a WiFi hotspot is turn it on. WiFi-enabled devices simply see another potential wireless network to connect with; albeit a secure one requiring a password.
- Compatibility: The device works with Windows, Linux and Mac OS. And when it comes to the connecting devices, all that is needed is the standard 802.11 b/g protocol.
- Compact: The MiFi 2200 is about the size of a credit card and only about a half inch thick.
- Limited connections: Because we are dealing with Mobile Broadband capabilities, WiFi connections to the MiFi 2200 are limited to five devices. While that will often be enough for mobile situations, the device will not scale beyond that. In other words, MiFi is designed to supplement not replace your current network configuration.
- Monthly allowances: As of right now, Verizon is imposing allowances on the amount of data you can transfer each month. The maximum of 5GB may be enough for most enterprises, but not for all, and additional charges could add up quickly. Before committing to a MiFi solution consider carefully how much data you will need to move in a given month.
- Coverage: The MiFi 2200 is subject to the same coverage limitations as any Verizon mobile device. You will have to have access to the Verizon network in order to use the device.
Bottom line for business
In situations where more than one mobile user needs to be connected to the Internet or the business intranet, there are only a few options. One of the best options is the Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot which can connect up to five WiFi-enabled devices with a single access point to the Mobile Broadband network. The simplicity of making the connections makes this device an invaluable addition to many business networks.
Have you encountered or used a Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot? If so, what do you think? Rate your experience and compare the results to what other TechRepublic members think. Give your own personal review of the MiFi 2200 in the TechRepublic Community Forums or let us know if you think we left anything out in our review.
Read our field-tested reviews of hardware and software in TechRepublic's Product Spotlight newsletter, delivered each Thursday. We explain who would use the product and describe what problem the product is designed to solve. Automatically sign up today!