Deb Shinder takes a look at the built-in calendar that ships with Android, explains how to perform various calendaring functions, and offers some suggestions for third-party calendar apps.
The last button in the bottom menu is an option labeled "More ..." This will take you to a menu where you can refresh the calendar, select "Go to" and choose any day you wish, or pick the different calendars you want to enable (for example, your Google account, Exchange account, Facebook account, etc.) as shown in Figure 5. Figure 5
You can see all your available calendars and check the ones you want to show
Also in the "More ..." menu is the Settings option. This has two sections: Reminders and Calendar view. The Reminder settings allow you to perform the following:
- choose which calendars the settings apply to (all or individual calendars)
- set whether reminders are to be delivered by alerts (sounds), status bar notifications, or turn them off completely
- set the default reminder time, which can range from 10 minutes to 1 hour prior to the appointment or event
- select a ringtone for notifications
- select to vibrate
- specify whether to hide events that you've declined
Here are the selections for the Calendar view settings:
- specify what view to start in (Month, Agenda, Week, or Day) if the Calendar app is closed and reopened (if it's left running in the background, it will open in whichever view you left it)
- set the Day views to show either Time view or Event view (Event view is the default and displays as in Figure 2, but I prefer Time View, which shows you the time for each event or appointment -- with all-day events at the top -- as shown in Figure 6)
- specify the day on which the week starts (Sunday or Monday)
- Include weather information, which your device detects from the phone's location settings
Time view shows you the time of each event or appointment
Creating calendar entriesTo add a calendar entry, press the Android menu button and select New event. This will bring up the page shown in Figure 7. Figure 7
You can easily add new events to the calendar
On this page, you choose the calendar to which you want to add this event, give the event a name, and select whether it's an all-day event. If you uncheck the "All day" box, a field appears for you to set the start and end times. There are also fields for entering the location and a description of the event. You can even change the default reminder setting that you configured in the Settings menu and include email addresses of guests that you want to invite to this event (or just their name if their email address is listed under their contact information on your phone). Finally, you can define the event as a One-time event, or set it to repeat Daily, Every weekday, Weekly, Monthly, or Yearly. Don't forget to touch the Save button when you're finished to add the event to your calendar.
After you've created an event, you can press the menu button to add a reminder, edit the event, delete the event, show the Agenda view, or share the vCalendar via Bluetooth, mail, or message.Read about calendar syncing and third-party calendar apps.