Jack Wallen highlights a few of the best Android apps for tracking and managing your finances on the go.
Business is mobile, and there are times when you need to remotely manage your finances. Maybe you need an app to track expenses on the go, or perhaps you need a reporting tool that gives you a non-interactive snapshot of your accounts. You most likely won't run your business' finances directly from a tablet, but you can at least keep abreast of your financial health.
With that in mind, I want to introduce you to some of the most business-ready financial apps for the Android tablet. These apps will help you keep track of accounts, invoices, and generally ensure that you know where you and your business stand financially.
I've discussed Mint.com Personal Finance at length (see "Track your finances from your mobile with Mint"), but this app is such a great find that it bears repeating. Mint is one of the best ways to manage your financial portfolio on the go. Why? Because Mint is a read-only means to track your spending. It allows you to connect to multiple accounts and track each account in numerous ways. You can even create budgets and track how current spending compares to the budgets set.
Here are some additional Mint features:
- Track multiple finance accounts — checking, savings, and credit cards
- Automatically categorize transactions
- Charts and graphs show you at a glance where you're spending
- Track multiple budgets (Figure A)
- Track cash spending
- View finances offline
- Email or text alerts to notify you of upcoming bills, fees, low balances, unusual activity, and more
Mint.com Personal Finance running on a Verizon-branded Samsung Galaxy Tab.
The best part about Mint is that all data that's transferred is read-only, so even if someone intercepts your data, they can't do anything with it.
What if you need to actually track your expenses while you're on the go? Some people over-stuff their wallets with receipts, but others require a more professional means of tracking expenses. This is where EasyMoney - Expense Manager comes into play. EasyMoney offers intuitive data entry tools and more, including:
- Home screen widget
- Notifications of upcoming and overdue bills (for both one-time payments and recurring bills)
- User-defined monthly budgets on specific accounts and/or categories
- Fully customizable income and expense categories
- Integrated Checkbook Manager
- Transfers between accounts
- Application lock
- Take photos of bills and receipts
- Export captured data as QIF & CSV
- Built-in data backup to SD card
From this simple interface, you can make deposits and withdrawals, add new categories, create repeating transactions, and more.
You get a 30-day free trial with EasyMoney. After that, you can purchase the full product for $9.95 (USD).
Getting paid on the go isn't all that difficul, especially when you have access to a tool like Intuit GoPayment for Tablets. With GoPayment, you can easily accept credit cards with your tablet using the free card reader they ship you (upon signing up for an account). Yes, there's a percentage cost associated with using the service, but compared to standard credit card fees, it's actually cheaper. The GoPayment feature list includes:
- Rates as low as 1.7%
- 24/7 phone and online support
- Customize electronic receipts
- Send receipts to customers via email or text
- Create an inventory list for faster sales
- Add multiple users to your account
- Collect tips
- Easily manage tax rates in multiple locations
- Track sales and run reports using Intuit Merchant Service Center
Intuit has done a stellar job designing an easy-to-use interface for on-the-go payment processing.
Let 'em know
The only way your clients know to pay you is if you let them know they owe you. Zoho Invoice is an online invoicing service that charges by how many clients you wish to invoice. Here are some Zoho Invoice features:
- Create invoices and quotes with ready-to-use templates
- Record, invoice, and track reimbursable expenses
- Accept online payments from customers
- Track payments
- Automate overdue reminders and payment thank you mails
- Transact globally
- Track time and invoice for projects at the click of a button
- Create invoices
- Track unpaid/overdue invoices
- Create estimates
- Manage customers, expenses, and projects
- Create time-based entries
The Zoho Invoice desktop is clean and easy to use.
There are three tiers of Zoho Invoice pricing:
- Free: 5 customers, 1 user, one project
- Standard: $15.00/month (USD) for 500 customers, 3 users, unlimited projects
- Professional: $30.00/month (USD) for unlimited customers, unlimited users, unlimited projects
Now you have all of the tools you need to manage your finances from your tablet. You can view your accounts, manage your accounts, receive payments, and bill your clients — all from your Android tablet. Do these tools cover all your bases? If not, what would you add to fill the void? Share your insight in the discussion thread below.