Microsoft shops have been in a difficult position with regard to OS upgrades the last several years. They had a good run with Windows XP, and most sat out the release of Vista after it was panned by critics on release. At that point, XP was regarded as good enough by most organizations and many looked at the lauded improvements in Vista as consumer-driven fluff rather than features that would compel a corporate change.
Windows 7 arrived to positive press, but many CIOs opted to wait for its first service pack to see if it "proved itself." And there was no problem with waiting since Microsoft continued to support Windows XP. (XP even underwent a resurgence of sorts with the rise of netbooks.) With XP finally getting stale and Microsoft focusing its most important tweaks and updates on Windows 7, a lot of businesses have been slowly transitioning their company PCs from XP to Windows 7.
But now we have Windows 8, an OS that promises big business improvements, particularly for tablet-friendly organizations. Whether you're in the undecided camp or are gearing up for the big upgrade, here are some great resources that will help:
For those weighing the upgrade:
What those who've decided to upgrade need to know
- Windows 8 fever? First, plan a tablet evaluation
- Which version of Windows 8 should you choose for tablet deployment?
- It's time to think differently about Windows 8
- Follow the right Windows 8 upgrade path
- What you should know about Windows 8 security features ...
- Windows 8 Installation Flowchart Downloads
- I'll take my Windows 8 To Go, please
- Protect your data with Windows 8 Storage Spaces
- Five popular apps that Windows 8 supports
- How to use Image Backup for Windows 8
- Tips for navigating Windows 8 with your mouse
- Benefits of the Tools menu and Windows Key shortcuts in Windows 8
If you want to look at some other great tactical tips for optimizing Windows 8 in your organization, see our Windows 8 Resource Center. And don't forget our live webcast Microsoft Windows 8: What You Need to Know Right Now on Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 12:00 pm ET/9:00 am PT/16:00 GMT.
Toni Bowers is the former Managing Editor of TechRepublic and is the award-winning blogger of the Career Management blog. She has edited newsletters, books, and web sites pertaining to software, IT career, and IT management issues.