During the times that I have been traveling this spring, I have had several extended periods when my Palm Treo 700p has been my only device connected to the Internet. As a result, I've been on the lookout for Web sites that are optimized for mobile phones.
Below is a list of 14 that I found that are worth sharing. I've included the URLs in raw form so that you can copy and paste them or simply type them straight into your mobile phone. Keep in mind that mobile URLs tend to change fairly frequently because there is not currently a standard naming convention for these URLs. I'll try to keep the list updated, but remember that caveat.
- Google (http://www.google.com/m/products)
- Yahoo Messenger (http://mm.yahoo.com)
- News.com (http://m.news.com)
- CNET Mobile (http://m.cnet.com)
- Weather.com (http://palm.xhtml.weather.com/xhtml/)
- Digg (http://mobits.com/digg/)
- Reuters (http://mobile.reuters.com/)
- New York Times (http://mobile.nytimes.com/)
- Business Week (http://pda.businessweek.com/index.html)
- Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.com/wml/)
- StreetIQ podcasts (http://m.streetiq.com/)
- Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/h.html)
- Flickr (http://m.flickr.com/)
- GameGeeks (http://www.geek.com/gaming/portable/)
Why did I pick 14? That's how many will fit on one of the Favorites pages on my Treo, as the following screenshot shows.
Here are screenshots from several of the mobile sites to show what they look like on the Treo screen using the Blazer Web browser.
I'm planning to do a follow-up list with more links to mobile sites, so I'm open to hearing your favorites. What mobile sites do you recommend? Of the mobile phones and mobile browsers that you have used, which ones are the best for viewing and surfing Web pages? Join the discussion.