Scott Karp at Publishing 2.0 has a nice synopsis of why trying to surf Web pages from a mobile phone is so frustrating. His observations are pretty consistent with my experience, although I think the iPhone's Web browsing is pretty darn good; it just needs a faster connection than the AT&T Edge network can offer.
Here's the list of Scott's five complaints:
- Wireless carrier networks are SLOW
- Public Wi-Fi access is a SCAM
- Sites aren't formatted for small screens
- Mobile device screens are too small
- Advertising gets in the way
Also, note that there's now a mobile version of TechRepublic that is optimized for small screens at http://http://www.techrepublic.com.