Top IT news for April 21, 2008, features stories about: Microsoft Surface, Windows XP Service Pack 3, the Internet hitting capacity in 2010, the state of Muni Wi-Fi, the baddest botnet yet, and much more.
This news roundup is a joint venture between TechRepublic and ZDNet that publishes every weekday morning. For breaking news and top stories, follow Tech Sanity Check and ZDNet's Between the Lines.
- Kraken: The biggest, baddest botnet yet
- Ad-funded software: A potential security vector?
- Instant communication encourages less autonomous workers
- Data centers don't run themselves
- Recognizing the signs of help desk burnout
- Who made the worst PC ever?
- Google Research: Temperature not a major factor in hard disk failures
- Microhoo: A frenetic week ahead; Yahoo could turn the tables on Microsoft
- AT&T: Internet to hit full capacity by 2010
- Holographic storage ships next month
- Microsoft XP SP3 on track to RTM on April 21
- EIC podcast: Gaga for Google; Tech earnings; Psystar; Microsoft's Albany
- Can solid state hard drives really improve system performance?
- Microsoft accidentally delivers Office Genuine nagware
- Does Microsoft have a gameplan for Groove?
- Getting a glimpse of the spherical Microsoft Surface
- Rumor Mill: what's just around the bend from Apple (updated)
- Apple tweaks Software Updater following criticism | Gallery (right)
- OLPC stuck key issue drawing attention
- Pictures of Psystar's corporate home; Clone maker's store is open
- Why Psystar will sink without a trace over the next few weeks | all Psystar coverage
- 1,788 entries compete for $5 million Android prize money
- Google to ramp up hiring in China
- Open source SOA infrastructure project CXF elevated to full Apache status
- Will the Internet remain neutral?
- Are SOA-related business concerns outside the IT 'comfort zone'?
- Why are reformers destroying Veterans' health computer system?
- How to troubleshoot your VoIP phone setup
- More than double your T-Mobile Shadow runtime with the new extended battery
- Census for open source apps kicks off
- Can every day be Earth Day? | Cleantech money, there's more, but there's also less
- Microsoft CRM Online Hunts Salesforce.com
- Dead, Dead, Dead: Cities Accept Muni Wi-Fi's Absence
- Report: Skype to offer unlimited overseas calls
- China vaults past USA in Internet users
- Web 2.0 Expo: Web apps invade San Francisco
- Live Mesh week: Ray Ozzie's biggest bet since Groove?
- Red Hat, Novell: desktop Linux an enterprise thing-for now
- Removing hard drive data — the YouTube way
- Ubuntu Linux takes on enterprise server market with new OS
- Enterprise 2.0 To Become a $4.6 Billion Industry By 2013
- OpenID getting more usable, a tiny bit at a time
- Yahoo BrowserPlus: The rumour is true
- Sources: Microsoft Signs Letter Of Intent To Acquire Xobni
- Is your outsourcer an IT sweatshop?
————————————————————————————————————————Stay on top of the latest tech news
Get this news story and many more by subscribing to our free IT News Digest newsletter, delivered each weekday. Automatically sign up today!