Answer the featured question in this post for the chance to win a TechRepublic coffee mug or laptop sticker. The other questions highlighted here address issues with Ubuntu 9.10, configuring a DHCP server, and much more.
With the help from the TechRepublic community, we've compiled a list of questions from last week that had great answers and/or large appeal. If you want to submit your favorite Question of the Week, using those guidelines as criteria, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.TechRepublic member jgstroup submitted a question(s) to feature in this week's post. The person who responds with a helpful answer in the discussion thread will receive a TechRepublic coffee mug or laptop sticker. Here's the question(s):
"Our company supports fueling systems for the Department of Defense (DOD) all over the world. The systems have a modem through which we can dial in and view many of the aspects of the machine, make changes to operational characteristics, and even view history from a print buffer.
My question is: How can I best connect from anywhere, when the modem requires an analog dial, but I would like to be able to connect from a netbook with a broadband card from anywhere I have a signal.
Additionally, possibly separately, we use Sprint FonCards for the long-distance charges, and a long-time Vonage devotee mentioned that there might be ways to reduce even those charges to the Pacific Rim and Europe since many IP Telephony companies have gateways in those countries.
These issues are currently complicating my support effort, as at this time any of us supporting a unit that needs a dial-in have to race to our homes or the office to get a land line."
Do you have a solution for bridging the divide between an IP connection and a land line modem? Please post it in the discussion thread for this post.
Here are some additional highlighted questions from last week:
- How to configure a DHCP server in Windows Server 2008 for distribute IP
- What is the Inbox doing in SCCM 2007?
- Run a 4gi file on unix system using ftp
- Toshiba Qosmio F15 won't boot, power only, no HD activity
- Using a dropdown list to add multiple rows of data
- Automatically start browser at specified time
- How to configure access of http and https in Cisco router 1841 from internal
- Ubuntu 9.10 Post Installation Problem
- Networking and VPN quandary
- Can a forced demoted server 2003 be added as a site?