In this quick tip by TR's moderator, Tammy Cavadias, you'll learn how to stop Windows from saving the thumbnail cache.
Windows XP, by default, shows the thumbnails view of certain folders. Even if you choose some other view and apply it to "All Folders," Explorer may still revert back to the Thumbnails view. It does this for any folder in which it finds the THUMBS.DB file. Naturally, if you delete this file, it won't happen again. The problem is that Windows seems to recreate the THUMBS.DB file automatically.Here's how to stop this from happening in Windows XP:
- In Explorer, go to Tools | Folder Options (or open the Folder Options icon in the Control Panel)
- Choose the View tab, and deselect the "Do not cache thumbnails option"
- Click OK
- In Explorer, go to Organize | Folder and Search Options (or open the Folder Options icon in the Control Panel).
- Choose the View tab, and check "Always show icons, never thumbnails"
- Select "Apply to Folders" to assign these changes to all folders
- Click OK
If you have your own TR Community tip, please send it to email@example.com so that we can feature in the TR Out Loud blog.