This episode of TROLOV — that's TR Out Loud on Video — captures some of the weekly highlights from TechRepublic, including the top discussions and most active members on the boards. If you're not a fan of video (sorry about the Flash, Jaqui), you can choose to just listen to the audio file.Notes: Top discussion threads:
- Sanity check: Five reasons why Windows Vista failed
- Poll: Will your company eventually migrate to Windows Vista?
- Is Microsoft changing .NET too quickly?
- It can be hard not to laugh at silly user mistakes
- Do IT pros eat more?
- Peconet Tietokoneet (13 thumbs)
- OH Smeg (9 thumbs)
- Jacky Howe (8 thumbs)
- TheChas, CG IT, and Old Mycroft (3 thumbs)
- willcomp, bwilmot, and tkrl26 (2 thumbs)
- jdclyde (170 posts)
- Peconet Tietokoneet (163 posts)
- boxfiddler (154 posts)
- Old Mycroft (96 posts)
- OH Smeg (91 posts)
Many thanks to BFilmFan, Hal 9000, jdclyde, and The Scummy One for sending in "stuff" for this week's show. Send me an e-mail, and I'll hook you up with some swag.
Last week's "Who is this TR member" photo was none other than Hal 9000.
And here is last week's Question of the Week, submitted by Jimmy-Jam: "What prompts you to add someone to your contacts? What's you're criteria? - or - How do you break the admin password?"
According to jdclyde: "If someone is very knowledgeable, I want to read more of what they have to say. If someone is funny, I definitely want to read more. My primary way of browsing TR is to refresh the 'Posts by my contacts' list because those are the posts I care about for the most part."
According to The Scummy One: "Usually, it is if I wanna 'stalk' them around or to find the discussions I missed." As for how to break an admin password: "Use a hammer or other device to break the PW. If it still misbehaves, torture it (waterboarding) until it starts working properly again."Feedback and member contributions
Please take a little a couple minutes to send in a comment, a Question of the Week, photos, or even a small video clip for next week's show. You can even leave a voice message — our toll free number is (866)-414-CNET (2638); or you can leave a message via Skype, and our Skype ID is tr.out.loud.
If you send me something for TROLOV, I'll send you something back! We have swag — such as mugs, shirts, pens, balls, toolkits, frisbees, and disposable cameras — and the following lists of premium products:
- IT Vendor Management Tool Kit (CD-ROM)
- IT Managers Hiring Tool Kit (CD-ROM)
- PC Troubleshooter Resource Guide, Fifth Edition (Book with CD-ROM included)
- IT Security Survival Guide, Second Edition (Workbook with CD-ROM included)
- IT Professional's Guide to Project Management, Volume 2 (Workbook with CD-ROM included)
- Administrator's Guide to TCP/IP, Second Edition (Workbook with CD-ROM included)
- IT Professional's Guide to Desktop Control, Second Edition (Workbook with CD-ROM included)
- Fast Track: SAMS Teach Yourself PHP, MySQL, and Apache All in One
- Fast Track: Dreamweaver 8
- Fast Track: Project Management
- Fast Track: HTML
- Fast Track: IT Help Desk Survival Guide, Third Edition
- Fast Track: Microsoft Project 2003/2002/2000
- Fast Track: Microsoft Project 98/2000/2002
- Fast Track: Microsoft SQL Server 7.0/2000
- Fast Track: Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP
- Fast Track: Microsoft Access 2003
- Fast Track: Microsoft Excel 2003
- Fast Track: Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP
- TechMails Tech Tips for Windows Administrators (NT, 2000 Pro, and 2000 Server)
- IT Manager’s Tool Kit, Volume 2
- Network Administrator’s Tool Kit
- IT Consultant’s Tool Kit
- IT Consultant’s Tool Kit, Volume 2
- IT Help Desk Survival Guide, Volume 2
- Small Office Took Kit
- Tech Tips for Exchange Administrators, Second Edition
- Tech Tips for Outlook Support, Second Edition
- Tech Tips for Windows XP Professional
- IT Vendor Management Tool Kit
- Essential IT Forms
- Linux Network and Systems Administration
- Landing Your Next IT Job
- Developer’s Guide to Web Services
- Building .NET Solutions
Sonja Thompson started at TechRepublic in October 1999. She is a former Senior Editor at TechRepublic.