In October 2008, TechRepublic Editor Toni Bowers noted that, "The Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) predicts DBA will be one of the fastest growing occupations in America through 2012." If you're thinking about heading down this career path, you might find the post, What does a DBA do all day? a good starting point.
Another useful resource is Confio Software's white paper, Top 10 Secrets for DBA Career Success, which explores the following aspects of the job:
- Use best-practice wait-time methodologies
- Be a hero, have an impact, and get raise
- Be proactive
- Make friends with developers
- Don't use old techniques to find new problems
- Don't waste time hunting for the problem
- Keep your customers happy
- Don't waste the boss's dollars on the wrong thing
- Work on things that people care about
- Don't get blamed for other people's problems
If you're already working as a DBA, what tips would you offer someone who is thinking of entering the field? Please post your career advice in the discussion.
Related TechRepublic resources
Related Topics:Enterprise Software Security Networking Data Centers Microsoft Amazon
Mary Weilage is a Feature Editor for CBS Interactive. She has worked for TechRepublic since 1999.