TechRepublic's Erik Eckel searched for productivity applications that provide high compatibility not only with Microsoft Office applications but for use on Macintosh platforms. Erik found NeoOffice version 2.2.1, available both for PowerPC- and Intel-powered Apple computer users. Here's a summary of what he discovered when he put NeoOffice to the test.
Erik found NeoOffice version 2.2.1, available both for PowerPC- and Intel-powered Apple computer users. Here's a summary of what he discovered when he put NeoOffice to the test.
NeoOffice delivers excellent office tools, especially for the price (free as part of an open source project):
- A powerful word processing tool in Writer
- A highlight compatible spreadsheet tool in Calc
- A powerful presentation program in Impress
- A strong diagramming tool in Draw
- A potent database program in Base
- Support isn't available at the same level as for Microsoft's Office platform
- The NeoOffice applications don't provide perfect compatibility with Microsoft Office
- The NeoOffice applications aren't compatible with the new Microsoft Office 2007 file formats
Mac users seeking a free, highly compatible suite of office productivity applications will find NeoOffice the right tool for the job. With potent word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database and drawing tools, NeoOffice provides Mac users with a competitive alternative that's highly effective in meeting most office's productivity application requirements.