Everyone who works on a Windows computer has his or her favorite system utilities. But, there are a handful of must-have tools that no Windows user or IT support pro should be without. During this week's episode of TR Dojo, I give you a list of free Windows utilities that you should download right now.
To keep things simple, I've divide the list into five separate categories. And while dozens of applications may fall into each category, the following tools are favorites of TechRepublic members and editors.1. Cleaners: CCleaner
- Five tips for using Ccleaner to degunk your system
- How do I ... remove unwanted files with Ccleaner in one click?
- Product Spotlight: CCleaner
- Uninstall applications from Windows with Revo Uninstaller
- How do I uninstall applications from Windows with Revo Uninstaller?
- Four free defragmentation tools for power users
- Review: UltraDefrag tool
- Review: MyDefrag 4.2.6
- Review: Smart Defrag
- Review: Defraggler defrag hard disk utility
- Take control of any Windows PC on the Internet with CrossLoop
- Quick and easy remote support with CrossLoop
- Reset Windows passwords with the Offline NT Password and Registry Editor
- Reset lost Windows passwords with Offline Registry Editor
For those who prefer text to video, click the View Transcript link below the video player window. You can also sign up to receive the latest TR Dojo lessons through one or more of the following methods:
Bill Detwiler has nothing to disclose. He doesn't hold investments in the technology companies he covers.
Bill Detwiler is Managing Editor of TechRepublic and Tech Pro Research and the host of Cracking Open, CNET and TechRepublic's popular online show. Prior to joining TechRepublic in 2000, Bill was an IT manager, database administrator, and desktop support specialist in the social research and energy industries. He has bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Louisville, where he has also lectured on computer crime and crime prevention.