Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC can increase the performance and extend the life of a PC.
Back in 2010, I reviewed the current version of UniBlue PowerSuite which included (and still includes) an application called SpeedUpMyPC. UniBlue has rewritten the installation program and added several new features to the application itself in the 2012 version.
Disclosure: SpeedUpMyPC 2012 was evaluated using a not-for-resale license provided by UniBlue. The latest version, SpeedUpMyPC 2013, has been released.
SpeedUpMyPC 2012 is a tool for improving system performance. It does this by installing system speed tools, performing system tweaks, disabling unused processes, and cleaning up the registry based on results from a system scan. The scan is done immediately (by default) when the application is first run and is then repeated every two weeks (again, by default). Once the scan finishes, the user can deselect the items they do not wish to have changed.
Some of the improvements include an application to monitor runaway CPU usage by a process or application; tweaks to Internet Explorer, network cards, and core OS settings; disabling of application update processes; and fixing orphaned registry items.
The best thing about SpeedUpMyPC, though, is the fact that it logs everything it does and can restore those items if you are unhappy with the change for any reason.
- Manufacturer: UniBlue
- Product: SpeedUpMyPC
- Version: 22.214.171.124
- Operating System: Windows
- Price: $29.95
- For a closer look, check out the TechRepublic UniBlue SpeedUpMyPC Photo Gallery
Who's it for?
Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC is for any PC that isn't performing as well as you would like. Home users and Network Administrators can use it to extend the life of their PC or refresh a PC without reinstalling from scratch.
What problem does it solve?
UniBlue SpeedUpMyPC modifies Windows to make it run faster and at optimum performance by installing speed tools, making operating system tweaks, disabling unused and unneeded processes, and cleaning up registry issues.
- Easy to Install - UniBlue touts a one-click installer and it's practically true. Once the installer file is executed, you click once to install then once again to finish.
- Easy to Use - During the installation, the option to start SpeedUpMyPC immediately and to start a scan immediately are checked by default. After the scan is finished, you can perform all of the suggested changes at the click of one button.
- Safe to Use - SpeedUpMyPC logs all changes made and allows you to undo any of them at any time in the future.
- Registry Defrag - Hidden within the manage tab instead of being part of the normal scan and repair feature is a Registry Defrag which also should help improve system performance.
- Excessive changes - To me, some of the changes are excessive, including the disabling of a few of the nicer features of Aero like the translucent coloring inside of a selection box and showing the contents of a window while dragging, especially when the system can handle this strain.
Bottom line for business
For companies with meager PC refresh budgets, UniBlue SpeedUpMyPC can provide a safe and inexpensive way to stretch the lifespan of their existing machines without the effort of reimaging by disabling unneeded services, monitoring and controlling excessive CPU use, and cleaning up garbage in the registry.