The easy interface of WinISO for Windows, combined with the healthy file format support, makes this tool a winner on all counts.
- Operating Systems: Windows XP, Vista, and 7
- Cost: $29.95
- More Info: http://www.winiso.com
Who's it for?
Anyone who wants to burn, create, and manipulate optical disc image files, including more exotic disc formats like BluRay.
What problem does it solve?
WinISO wants to give everyone the complete experience for disc image management, as opposed to using the basic functionality built in to Windows 7 or more limited freeware applications.
- Decent file format support: WinISO supports more obscure image formats, such as MDF/MDS, NRG, and CCD formats in addition to the usual suspects like ISO and BIN/CUE.
- Can generate "hybrid" disc images: Dual-mode support enables you to create disc images that contain both ISO 9660 and HFS+ formats, which can then be burned to a single disc.
- Quick conversions: WinISO makes converting images from one format to another a snap. Simply select the image in question and output it to any other format.
- Clean and uncluttered UI: Of all the disc image programs I have used for Windows, WinISO wins stripes for its minimalistic user-interface design, allowing for you to get work done quickly.
- Image mounter support is limited: If you are not running a 32-bit version of Windows, the image mounter that comes built in to WinISO doesn't work in 64-bit environments yet.
- SecuROM protected discs are problematic: Like most other image programs, SecuROM or other copy protections applied to discs will not copy out correctly in WinISO.
WinISO might not support every disc image format under the sun. But what it does support, it does very well, and the interface is slick and easy to use. I would definitely recommend this utility.
An avid technology writer and an IT guru, Matthew is here to help bring the best in software, hardware and the web to the collective consciousness of TechRepublic's readership. In addition to writing for TechRepublic, Matthew currently works as a Customer Success Professional for Ultimate Software in Santa Ana, California.