Community

General discussion

100,000 deaths, the reality

By Oz_Media ·
"On the O'Reilly Factor, retired Army Col. David Hunt said it is "confirmed," evidently from his sources, that coalition forces have killed over 100,000 Iraqi military."

"As reported in Friday?s newspapers, the estimate is being treated with considerable skepticism. The motives of the editors of The Lancet were questioned in The New York Times story (tucked away in a single column on page A8), because the study was released in a special Web version before The Lancet?s usual publication date. It is as if the Times were implying that such major news should have been held until after the election. Over at the Washington Post, a researcher for Human Rights Watch criticized the study's method by alleging that the sample was too small. HRW and some other groups have tried to count casualties by using documents, such as press reports. Those estimates have been around 17,000 Iraqi deaths."

"In the study, teams of researchers led by Dr. Les Roberts fanned out across Iraq in mid-September to interview nearly 1,000 families in 33 locations. Families were interviewed about births and deaths in the household before and after the invasion."

So in actuyality what has happened is these pople HAVE conducted an survey based on a reasonable sample when compared to sample sizes used for polls in the USA.

These deaths are NOT ALL DUE TO US ATTACKS THOUGH. These deaths include ALL deaths, the VIOLENT deaths are said to be 2.5 times higher than before the invasion and that's ALL it proves.

"Before the invasion, the most common causes of death in Iraq were heart attacks, strokes and chronic diseases. Afterward, violent death was far ahead of all other causes."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
IN the USA rough stats:

14.1 to 1,000 child injury death index
2.2 to 1,000 die from maltreatment

152,921 due to other accidents including; MV (non-traffic), Drowning, Fire/burn, suffocation, falls, natural/environmental each year.

So I suppose including all the other hundreds of ways that children die each year, drugs, abuse, illness and natural/violent deaths, America could also dig up a similar if not far greater number on thier own child population deaths. AND THAT'S JUST CHILDREN!

The issue is that the 100,000 total taken from Iraq is NOT attributable to the Iraqi invasion, they may well have had 100,000 deaths, but this is only said to be a 2.5% increase in violent deaths due to the nature of the fight in Iraq.

Take your stats and look into them next time instead of wasting everyone's time for days on end and then proving that you had a knee jerk reaction and did not qualify your statements.

This stats includes ALL deaths Buicky, not just those directly attributable to war in Iraq. The increase has only been a small percentage over regular deaths. One also must take into consideration the mental state of families interviewed and how they will attribute almost any death to the hostilities in Iraq.

These are FAR from any relevant or accurate numbers, maybe you can get your record to stop skipping now and get back to reality.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Who told you that?

by ProtiusX In reply to Bush Loyalist Defends Ter ...

Your psychic hot-line friend? Or SZXChevblronk from Planet BuuyaaH?

Collapse -

I don't understand.

by G.Brown In reply to If My president was Sadda ...

You say that if your president killed thousands of innocent civillians, then you would beg to be invaded by another country.

Do you not count the thousands who have been killed in Iraq?

WWhen exactly would you like someone to invade you??

On your next point ... inventing new and improved methods of killing people.

So when did America stop "inventing new and improved methods of killing people"??

Can you tell me which coutries are not?

Well, the international community was dealing with it (albeit slowly ... but what other options, other than war could you come up with) until the "coalition", in my view went into the war illegally.

And on your last point ... well youre starting to sound a little racist.

You still haven't answered my main question which was that if your country was invaded would you stand by whilst you see things like torturing in Abu Gareb!!

Collapse -

I exaggerated to make a

by Packet Spoofer In reply to I don't understand.

point G....

You said.....
"You say that if your president killed thousands of innocent civillians, then you would beg to be invaded by another country.

Do you not count the thousands who have been killed in Iraq?"
No....there is no moral equivilence to people killed in war vs. People gassed by an evil dictator....
The vast majority of the people that were killed in iraq were not innocent civilians. I am not advocating the killing of innocent people, but if you listen to some here, you would think that that is what everyone of the war dead in iraq is...innocent civilians.

"WWhen exactly would you like someone to invade you?? "
I would not in reality like to have someone invade my country. I would like to think that a torturer/murderer like Saddam could never rise to leadership in our country. Now to those of you like bucky that would interject claiming that this is what Bush is, save it.....that is rediculous and somewhere under all of the ranting, I sincerely believe you know it too!

"On your next point ... inventing new and improved methods of killing people.

So when did America stop "inventing new and improved methods of killing people"??"
There exist many threats to americans in the world...north korea now has weapons pointed at us, not to mention former threats...if you were a leader in america and did not respond to these threats by balancing them with appropriate weaponery, you would not be a leader here long....
And any leader in any responsible country would do the same thing if they could....

"Can you tell me which coutries are not?"
No

"Well, the international community was dealing with it (albeit slowly ... but what other options, other than war could you come up with) until the "coalition", in my view went into the war illegally."
You feel we did this illegally...that is your view, but I disagree, and we pursued action through the UN, but they would not enforce there own resolutions..

"And on your last point ... well youre starting to sound a little racist."
I do not see this, and I am no racist....but you will see what you choose to see in my statements...

"You still haven't answered my main question which was that if your country was invaded would you stand by whilst you see things like torturing in Abu Gareb!!"
Shame on the soldiers and anyone who was involved in the attrocious behavior at Abu Gareb...I do not condone this at all....I think it makes success much more difficult...