General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

2005’s hottest certs

by house ·

Here is a list of the potential “hottest certs” for 2005, ripped off of my favourite certification information/review website with my opinions on each.

1) CCIE – If you can get this one, Cisco might hire you themselves. An extremely valuable cert, but only for major players. It shouldn’t be number one in my book, as it is too narrow, and doesn’t really apply to everyone.

2) MCSE: Security – Although MCSEs are everywhere, getting your MCSE in 2003 with a Security focus, may just put you on top of that pile of crap. I will be going for my 2003 this year.

3) RHCE – Personally, I’d rather have the vendor neutral LPI-1 or 2, but it seems that this one is still more widely recognized in the IT world.

4) CCSP – Another Cisco cert… holds value, but it is not something that I am pursuing right now.

5) CCNP – Here’s one that I will be putting up on my wall this year. Very widely recognized. The learning process involved in obtaining this cert holds serious value in my world.

6) LPIC-2 – I don’t remember the letter “c” in there before… I will be looking for the LPIC-1 myself as I am not too comfortable with Linux.

7) CLP (Novell/Linux) – Here is something that really tweaks my interest, however my work in 2005 regarding Novell will be lab based… I will not write this cert.

8) MySQL Core Certification – No comment. This really has nothing to do with me. A general knowledge of the subject is good enough for me.

9) Security+ – Crap. I thought that I made myself clear before regarding this exam. LOL. I will write it, and then I will shut up.

10) PMP – Should’ve been #1 in my book. This is the most valuable certification that anyone could ever obtain. Project management is something that I will always be into. I cannot get this cert yet, but it is definitely within my 5 year plan.

It appears that this year’s lineup is only for the [b]serious[/b] professional.

Chris

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

I find it curious….

by dafe2 ·

In reply to 2005’s hottest certs

It’s curious that you will be pursuing the priviledge to be on top of one ‘pile of crap’ and then certified in one ‘crap cert’.( Your words here )

Considering your pursuing 2 of them yourself I thought you’d use a better description for two of the ‘2005 hottest certs’.

I think your going to find those (MS) CERTS are extremely dificult to achieve today – MS Exams and the methodology behind them changed significantly, simply because that pile has become so large. As far as I know COMPTIA has made significant changes as well, at least for Network & Security+. (They’re considered as credit for MS ‘electives’ now)

As the saying goes: “Don’t kick a fresh turd on a warm day” or “Shouldn’t crap where your gonna eat”

I am aware

by house ·

In reply to I find it curious….

Of the difficulties involved in achieving the 2003 MCSE. Aside from targetting training, I have years of experience with the stuff, regarding workforce, lab based, and [b]unfortunately, mostly freelance[/b]. I will probably take advantage of the new elective options regarding the Comptia certifications for the sake of keeping money in my pocket. My comment about Sec+ is an inside joke from the last week or so, where I insisted that it’ll be an easy grab. I will however take it upon myself to do a bit of research in order to fill in the holes and identify any issues that I may have.

PS – I usually crap in my own house. 🙂 Also, you will be getting more insight from me through my posts… the original thread is to instigate conversation.

On freelance

by dafe2 ·

In reply to I am aware

Usually I hesitate to kick at ‘crap’ – It generally splatters.

Sounds like you have your s.hit together, but I still had the plunger in my hand, in case.:-)

ITIL Foundation

by jimmcneill ·

Judging by the job adds in the UK press, the ITIL foundation cert is no bad thing to have in 2005.

Same in Canada – Prime Cert

by dafe2 ·

In reply to ITIL Foundation

It’s one of the first things I look for when looking for new talent (or) the first Cert I ask them to pursue.

Funny though, not many seem to realize that’s where things are headed.

agree with you on that one

by secure_lockdown9 ·

In reply to Same in Canada – Prime Cert

yup – have been noticing the ITIL more and more. might even go for it myself if i have some time this year.

hey, you are a fellow canadian? what do you think of CIPS?

Canada’s Association of Information Technology Professionals

SL

One of my goals…

by house ·

In reply to agree with you on that one

…in posting this elected list, is to extract other labels that are deemed highly valuable among our TR peers. Any insight, regarding certification paths that are not present in the list, is much appreciated.

I read more into the CIPS organization, as they appear authentic at first glance.

PS – I often wonder why there are so many fellow Canadians here at TR.

Canadians on TR

by oz_media ·

In reply to One of my goals…

THis is actually something fairily new to TR.

I see a political trend falling into place too.

There used to be myself, sort of Canadian, and a couple of other peers here that had been around quite a while. Now there seems to a whole bunch of Canadians popping up.

There was a HEAVY US peer base that was VERY active for a while, political discussions were the mainstay of TR and every American peer wanted to throw in his 2 Cents.

It was almost impossible to voice ANY opnion as a Canadian without being flamed as Anti-American, Anti-Bush etc. I was even tagged as a traitor to Canada, for not giving a crap about Canadian politics (LOL), and just about any other name you could dream up, including some you probably couldn’t.

After the erection, silence and still water.

At least all the political rhetoric has been passed over for more interesting or FUN off topic posts. Our UK, Australian and Canadian friends have returned to be active again and it is now shaping up as a globally supported and accepting forum, whereas it was “IF YOU DON’T LIVE HERE SUT THE HELL UP!!” before the erection. Yeah, like I listened to THAT! LOL! GWB was in our face every day too, we get to voice our displeasure until US politics is kept out of our faces.

It is nice to see a little more variety in peers and discussions now though.

OZ

by house ·

In reply to Canadians on TR

I’ve been coming to TR for years, but only for information and whitepapers. I’ve never been much for conversation on the net. In fact, up until a couple of months ago, I didn’t even use any chat programs. They are only valuable to me now because I don’t feel like screaming down the hallway at work.

As far as TR goes, the community is more active than I had previously thought, so I’ve jumped in to spit my info.

PS – There you go with your choice of words again. That’s 3 within the past couple of weeks, and you know very well that you are getting chuckles on the other end. I think you do it on purpose. LOL 🙂

Doesn’t take much

by oz_media ·

In reply to OZ

I am not sure exactly which comment you were referring to but all I can conclude is that you still giggle everytime someone says “bum” (I know I do). 🙂

(sarcasm alert)I know you have been around a bit but I was referring more to discussion activity, thinking that was the topic for some absurd reason.

I hate chat myself, I never use Irc or MSN or Yahoot etc. I hate stuff in my tray anyhow.

I hang out on a few band boards formtime to time just to get a feel for how well info is received from people but that’s about it, other than this Cracklike TR!

Oz… The word

by house ·

In reply to OZ

Since you don’t know, I believe the word you were trying to use was “election”. I’m not sure how you were able to spell it wrong twice. Maybe you’re Scooby Doo. Maybe it was due to your (keyboarding) skills. Maybe you spend too much time on strange chat sites and your typing moves faster than your eyes. Maybe you know, and it is a joke that I just don’t get. Either way, it made me laugh. 🙂

Ooooh

by oz_media ·

In reply to OZ

I have always called elections eRections. I lived in Richmond and well..it’s racist, perhaps you will recall it from Benny Hill, when he speaks proper Engrish.

I have noticed one or two other peers refer to having erections every four years too!

CIPS & Others

by dafe2 ·

CIPS is one of the more prestigious ‘clubs’. Another is the CSIS security clearance.

CSIS clearance holds a lot of weight now (since 911) and a lot of places are starting to demand it.

Another good path is Six Sigma.

Reply To: 2005’s hottest certs

by secure_lockdown9 ·

“I read more into the CIPS organization, as they appear authentic at first glance.”

they had a few articles on CIPS in Nov/Dec 04 in some of the trade mags – thats where i found out about them.

You should go for it

by dafe2 ·

In reply to agree with you on that one

Pink Elephant offers the best ITIL courseware. I’ve got three down and I’ll probably write the masters this summer. Depends on the summer weather though, I usually try to knock these things off in the winter time.

CIPS – I’ve been to about a dozen CIPS (NB Chapter) lunch’n learns this year & will probably do the ISP App. in the spring. Have you joined yet?

by secure_lockdown9 ·

In reply to You should go for it

“CIPS – I’ve been to about a dozen CIPS (NB Chapter) lunch’n learns this year & will probably do the ISP App. in the spring. Have you joined yet?”

nope – not yet. but i will read up on it some more on theh lunch & learn’s. do you know if they count as CPE credits.

CPE Credits

by dafe2 ·

In reply to Reply To: 2005’s hottest certs

I don’t believe so.

Entry and membership (ISP) are based on background and character.

It’s not as rigorous as a CSIS Clearance, but does hold a lot of weight & prestige.

It’s a great way to network with other, like minded pros. I’ve met a lot of very interesting people and learned a lot just (I hate this expression) ‘networking’. 🙂

Going a step further

by drfez ·

In reply to Same in Canada – Prime Cert

What about IT Asset Management certifications like CSAM, CHAMP and CITAM. (Certified Software Asset Manager, Certified Hardware Asset Management Professional, Certified IT Asset Manager)

IT Asset Management is one of the fastest growing practices in IT today.

don’t spend too much money on this stuff…

by secure_lockdown9 ·

they don’t usually deliver what they promise.

I do them just for my own personal and professional upgrading and my own satisfaction, plus it gives me someting to do during free time. also, my employer pays for it – so it’s not like it’s money out of my pocket.

IMO, this list is a little odd. the PMP and CCIE are way out of the league of all the other certs on the list. also the type of person going to those is a very different and usually much more experienced.

i would lump the Linux certs into their own group. LPI, RHCE, CLP. with RHCE leading the bunch in north america. just watch out with those – you may ultimatly be working with hard core linux/unix guys – and they have traditionally been rabble rousers. they aren’t very keen on all things “mainstream” – and you may find their attidudes towards IT certification the same. they usually value what you know and what you can do much more than a IT certification. meaning, they might use your certifications against you in the hiring process because they will have already judged you and how well you fit into their team before even meeting you! needless to say, definatly hide your Microsoft certification status from them if noting else. 😉

the rest are what i call – “certs & tic tacs”! perhaps the CCSP stands out a little more than the rest.

i would say focus your education and certification to what you want to do. and try to complement the certs with something else. a technical certificate from a well known university or college. membership in tech/IT organizations. go to the fuggin’ meetings and volunteer!!

don’t waste time on CCIE or PMP if you are new to the industry. there is no fuggin’ way any employer will let you work at that level without tons of real world experience.

regards,
      SL

professionalism, project management, and best practices

by house ·

In reply to don’t spend too much money on this stuff…

I am already very well educated with a solid work experience in the field, but I would still be considered Junior level by a potential employer. My main issue is that it has always been a hobby of mine, and freelance doesn’t count for much these days. The CCNP and MCSE are directly related to what I am doing right now… As far as any of the certs with which I have expressed interest, these are more for personal satisfaction than for any type of career move.

PMP might not be in the cards for obvious reasons, but I am inclined to pursue some sort of certification in regards to professionalism, project management, and best practices.

by secure_lockdown9 ·

In reply to professionalism, project management, and best practices

i got the CompTIA IT Project+ (now called just plain Project+). i consider it an entry level cert in project mgtm. can also be used as credit for your Novell MCNE.

as with all CompTIA stuff – it’s very VERY basic – sometimes bordering on common sense. but worth looking into if entry level is want to need.

SL

Secure – Re Project

by dafe2 ·

Have you or your Company any interest in Six Sigma processes?

It’s nice to hear others out there using project based strategy for a change. We use the PMO extensively for everything now and it works…..well most of the time anyway;-)

yo dafe2

by secure_lockdown9 ·

In reply to Secure – Re Project

“Have you or your Company any interest in Six Sigma processes?”

i don’t know. my work are more into results than papers and certs. a couple of yrs ago – at my job evaluation – i tried to use my certs and online articles on how they influence pay to try to get a higher salary. they didn’t even flinch. and i think i must have about 10 decent IT certs. 🙁

in my role – i am much more tech hands on. if i was going to go further into project mgtm – i think i might go for the PMI before Sigma 6. they seem more indemand and more at me level.

edu goals for this yr – i have more wireless, voip, and learn a new language on my list.

SL

I hear you

by dafe2 ·

In reply to yo dafe2

There’s a lot of people out there that actually believe Certs increase pay or get you hired…not so. Christ, I don’t know where people get this stuff.

It’s as you say. You do it for personal growth. Personal growth increases your skills, increased skills = increased responsibility = increased pay. Takes time.

Most of the guys did have extensive PM trainning before they called in Ernst & Young to do the Six Sigma trainning (Major $$$). Seems like there’s a big push out there for PM & ITIL skills right now so that makes sense. (ISO for programmers)

VOIP seems to be big here too. We put Avaya in at one place & currently doing CISCO at another. I’m not heavily involved in either one xcept for Server gear.

Six Sigma

by nd_it ·

In reply to Secure – Re Project

Our company as well utilizes Six Sigma. It is one of my goals this year. I did recently take a Project Management fundamentals course, but not sure I will be going for the PMP. Our company and IT staff is small and is best using best practices.

Six Sigma Certification

by rosamilha ·

In reply to Six Sigma

I have taken PMP Certification last year, now I intend to take Six-Sigma, I want to know how can I take it ? Is there a organization that works like PMI ? I mean, what are the best way to study for this certification process (books, e-learning,etcc..) How does this process works ?

Belts or certs?

by ebeck ·

In reply to Six Sigma Certification

For the green belt and normal certifications, you need some sponsorship that demonstrates applciation of SixSig – at least last time I checked. There are many places offering coursework, but from what I saw, the application portion was a key element. are you engaged somewhere currently using SS?

Yes

by house ·

That was one of my short term goals this year. PMP is but a longterm target. I have actually been reading several project management texts and papers over the course of the past year, complete with critical thinking, exercises, and standard terminologies with which, without that knowledge of the key terms and philosophies, it would hamper a common sense approach to the exam.

My next move is one more text, perhaps a Sybex book, directly related to the Comptia exam, since they’ve now released the first edition of the Project+ study guide. I’ve hesitated with Sybex because this topic was heavily outdated in their IT Project+ guide (although it was still recognized as valuable study material). Now…

Project+, 1st edition, October 2004 = “SOLD”.

Interesting is right

by oz_media ·

First of all, I wonder how the list was compiled. Was it basedon the most popular, most in demand, most wanted etc?

It certainly couldn’t be a relevant view of what is going to be the most worthwhile or most valuable, that is simply unpredictable on such a blanket scale.

As for the CLP, I would think twice. Now I am only an MCNE but I have been TOLD by several MS focused people here that Novell is dead and dying. One guy even posted stats from before they took over Ximian and they showed that Novell was not going to last. I think you should heed his warning myself ! LOL 😀

The list…

by house ·

In reply to Interesting is right

…was compiled by popular vote. No certification, in my opinion, holds any value at all to an employer. Considering my experience with MS garbage, it is high time I write for my 2003. Any others are stricly for personal satisfaction and self education. As far as the CCNP goes, I figure it will help me in convincing the owners, of the ISP with whom I am employed, that it is about time I get my hands dirty. There are so many things that I could be doing, but the senior admin is not so confident about his associates. I’ve been picking away at him, and he has been allowing me to play around with a few areas of our servers, but mostly only for VoIP troubleshooting. Re: packet frequency, keep alive, codecs, dialing rules, etc. It gets boring after a while.

Hang in there

by oz_media ·

In reply to The list…

VoIP is still in it’s infancy, if not still in it’s gestation stages.

Some people are jumping on the VoIP bandwagon now thinking that it has really become something, yet it really hasn’t. The top equipment manufacturers still scratch heads daily wondering hw to make it meet the most basic POTS standards that businesses are used to.

The reason I questioned it was because I think certs apply to regions or market demand as opposed to trends in technology. For example;
          In Richmond BC, an MCSE couldn’t find a job if his life depended on it, they are all Unix based warehouses that are near an airport for global shipping and distribution. IN that same sense, these warehouses usually deploy wireless systems and a Cisco cert goes farther than anything.

In Vancouver, security is the big issue as that’s where the commerce center/security and banking is.

On the island VoIP is big because of the distance between branches and the mainland HO’s.

SO I see certs as being VERY regional. This is why I always say to have more than one skill and be prepared to move to wherever you skills are in demand.

People that come here complaining that they have certs and no jobs are available seem to be people with poor planning skills when seeking certs. They go with what the Internet says is trendy or in demand, what they can afford etc.

When I lived in East Vancouver, I was trades focused, Richmond sales focused and New West was IT based. Now on the island it is VoIP, logging or fishing (nice contrast!)

I think my dream job now would be to get on with the Parks Service and get a cool job maintaining/partolling/working the Pacifc Rim National Park. There’s a job I would NEVER tire of! (do an internet search and tell me if you would ever get bored at seeing THAT all day long!)
          I still sit in awe almost daily as I look out over the inlet here and the surrounding wilderness, it just never gets boring to see.

I know exactly what you mean

by house ·

In reply to Hang in there

My experience with VoIP has lead me believe that I have extroardinary people skills in regards to politics (the bad kind). Being directly involved in the birth and evolution of VoIP technologies, is not without it’s perks. However, the Cable and DSL service within certain areas, should be called into question. I have no issues with VoIP where I live, nor do I have issues with internal office solutions, the main problem lies in high speed internet access that is “in it’s infancy” within smaller urban centres.

PS – I’m born and raised downtown, but I have a deep appreciation for nature. I just saw a freakin’ partridge outside, and it blew my mind. I never get to see anything but cats and pigeons around here.

Also… Oz… stay away from those funny little toadstools. A couple of weeks ago, while I was out chopping wood, the trees where chasing me. I was almost a goner, but then a 20 foot beaver broke through the ice and came to my rescue. I can’t wait until the Red King wakes up. It is all so horrible. Why does my cat keep smiling at me? Make him stop. 🙂

Toadstools

by oz_media ·

In reply to I know exactly what you mean

Actually there is a HUGE influx of students (more like beatnicks) from Montreal that come out here every summer for work. The Okanagan gets the fruit pickers and the island gets the shroomers.

There is a huge mushroom area (just regular mushrooms of course) on the west side of the island up the mountains and they get paid by the pound to pick them. The first kid that told me he was up there to pick srooms had me raising an eyebrow, I said that I hadn’t done that in YEARS, then he handed me a bag and I just about fell over laughing.

In Vancouver, magic shrooms grow everywhere, perfect climate I suppose. As kids, we’d skip out of classes after a fresh rain and the teachers could see us picking shrooms at the graveyard across the street from their classrooms.

Ahh, to be THAT young and care free again!

Same here

by house ·

In reply to Toadstools

I wasn’t on zoomers when I was out chopping wood. I wish I was, but I am trying to be a little more conservative (an ugly word) and collected nowadays. Besides, a re-introduction would definitely drag me back into k-e-micals far worse than that. I need to be conscious of my actions. Besides, you can only go so far before everything goes dark and anxiety takes over. No thanks.

…maybe if I took a week off, it would work… 🙂

That’s the problem here

by oz_media ·

In reply to Same here

NOt only are drugs abundant, GOOD drugs are abundant…..from what I have been told in the past…from some people who used to know other people who once knew first hand. Crap, I manage metal bands, who am I kidding!

Hey Oz

by house ·

In reply to Same here

Expand your mind. I don’t know how much of an elitist you are when it comes to music, but… Since you live in BC, you should check out Threat From Outer Space – aka – TFOS. They came into town and played at this dirty old indie/alt/punk bar, where I used to be “furniture”, and blew everyone away. Acid jazz, funk, beats, and a lyrical mastery that is almost inhuman. Don’t just visit their site and check out some demo tracks, it doesn’t do the live performance justice.

Sounds familiar

by oz_media ·

In reply to Same here

Are they with Outlaw Entertainent/Fiasco Bros. Studio now?

If you are into that, you’d like a really cool local band that I looked at a while back. They are better off here due though than in Europe so I just catch a show now and then.

http://www.warjunk.com These guys are also best live as they have a cool show with a bunnch of TV’s showing cool vid loops as they play, industrial, underground with a massive variety of instruments and guests. Almost like Pink Floyd meets The Cramps or really early PF days (Piper at the gates of dawn)

Not sure

by house ·

In reply to Same here

Who they are with. If you like digital art, check out Underworld’s live DVD – everything, everything – You can toggle between the live show with screens and the digital art. There is one scene, when they hit the climax in “moaner”, there is a guy in the crowd that starts to wobble back and forth… looks around like he is going to puke… and then slowly brings his hands up to cover his eyes. Trippin’ large. It is pretty intense… I recommend a home theater experience in the dark. Mind altering. 🙂

I’ll check out the group that you recommended. I find that the scene (industrial) in Canada though, is full of ambience and German influence. Not my cup’o’tea. I need mad beats.

First impression – progressive/industrial????… a little too operatic for me. I will listen to more though, as I’ve only given it 30 seconds. I’m not much into progressive metal. My buddy Derek swears by it. He gave me about 20 cd’s to listen to. Didn’t like a single one. Of course I was impressed by the musicianship, but the Operatic voice that is present in all of these bands… I can do without. I can’t realy remember the bands. One of them was “Ice Age” I think. Rippin’ guitar, but annoying vocals.

TFOS is hip hop. I listen to almost everything nowadays, but mostly electronic beats. Still a bit of Punk, but nothing too “ear wrenching”.

Love the Headstones eventhough they only have one style. I guess attitude goes a long way. Smashing Pumpkins were another one of the few non-punk exceptions that I had growing up, as well as The Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Blur, STP, Jane’s Addiction, RHCP, and about a thousand others… maybe I wasn’t as much of a narrow-minded punk elitist afterall. 🙂

There was a time when I thought I wouldn’t listen to anything else but Punk Rock. None of that 2nd generation emo 5HIT. Generally, anything with rippin guitars, oh… and some Sublime. Any artist who delivers the truth in such an untailored and unaltered way. RIP Bradley.

For some strange reason, my guitar style changed from rippin octaves to strange and wonderful loops including sub-harmonization-octaves and rythmic scratching/muting. I think that it was Zappa who said “if you fuq up, hit a bad note, repeat it a couple more times exactly the way you did it.”

I like Larry Lalonde (not so much his Possessed stuff). I’m no where near as good as him, and I haven’t played in years, so don’t ask for a sample… I suck.

house you are the man!!

by degwell ·

you always have the answers to what am thinking of asking before i even ask it, thanx man.
      i am thinking o f my mcse this year will have it done by feb thats my target and then there is a multinational organisation that will be migrating from nt to 2003 and want to be a part of it so project planning is definately where am pointing next.
      happy new year house

Wow

by house ·

In reply to house you are the man!!

That’s a lot better than [i]”you’re an arrogant @sshole who is unqualified to offer his opinion and should be thrown in with the rest of the hypocritical, back-stabbing managers who exhibit the same character flaw”[/i]. Thanx.

I went through an intensive targetted MCSE 2000 one year course a while back with a local Microsoft training centre. It cost me $13,000 with books, but it was quite the ride. The funny thing is that I never acquired my 2k certification, but have the work experience and education to back it up. I will be writing for my 2003, but it’ll require a bit of research on my part. It’s about time I get this over with. As you can see by the cost of my course, I haven’t been able to afford to pay for my certs. This year though, I am a little more organized (in all aspects), so I will pursue it [i]finally[/i].

PS – Time to pay your “Guild Dues”. Joke. Thanx for the recognition. Happy new years. Don’t forget to cover all the bases in your migration. Talk to “everyone” within the organization. You’ll be surprised what people fail to mention. 🙂

Defining Professionalism in IT

by pythosis ·

I would like to respond to Scot Withrow article on the adove subject which he wrote.
      While I agree with Scott’s behaviors, Its important that he understand that the only “IT Chartered Society for IT professionals is the “British Computer Society”. Also PMI is not to only body certified PMs. There is the APM in the UK as well.Their certification is far more rigid than PMI.
      So Scott, please do your home work and upgrade your articles. he IT profession is not just North America. I appreciate reading them.
      Regards
      Albert Bissember,FBCS,CITP,MAPM

pythosis…

by house ·

In reply to Defining Professionalism in IT

…what article is that? Is it the “Certification: What’s in a name?” article that was posted on CNet? Please give reference to the article so that we have a better understanding of what you are talking about.

Currently, PMP appears to be the most widely recognized cert in it’s field here in Canada, but it is a never ending wave. There are PM certs that are coming up, and those that are sliding down. One of my goals here, is to draw those titles out into the open, so we can all have a better understanding of how they rank accordingly among our peers regarding recognition and Junior to Senior Level status. Thanks for the info.

PS – Articles are always written from the perspective of the author. There are always gaps in research and biased opinions.

certcities pew

by advancedgeek ·

Actually this is the only reason why I got my Security+…I always believe the hype :). After taking the test and passing it I realized that it is a lot more difficult than most people imagine. Some of it was common sense…but it was no A+.

Yeah

by house ·

In reply to certcities pew

Good guess. I wonder who pays the bills there. I go there once in blue moon to catch up on a few trends. That site was the first site where I read about the LPIC-1 and -2. There is a market for writing certs and talking about them afterwards. Strange world.

by itjunkie ·

In reply to Yeah

I’ll put my money on the CISSP

certifications

by jck ·

In reply to certcities pew

I only ever got one certification…when I got my Novell 4.1 CNA.

How much did I study? 3 days. Spent a Saturday and Sunday reading 2 large compendiums on the CNA, and reviewed on Monday at the office. Then, drove to OK City on Tuesday morning, and the computerized test stopped me before I finished all the questions because it said I had passed already (Prometric Center testing).

I don’t doubt that most people with the certs that know what they’re doing, but how does an employer who’s just starting out with a technology and is looking for their first person to be their “go-to” guy guarantee that all the letters behind a name doesn’t just mean the guy read some books and paid a bunch of money to go through the motions and get paper?

I’ve heard the MS and Cisco certs are much harder, but I have to wonder. How does an employer keep from wasting their time and money in such a situation?

by itjunkie ·

In reply to certifications

They could ask how the tech fot his certifications. The Microsoft and Cisco certs are getting a little better. They are starting to incorporate more hands on stuff for the testing. In my opinion, they should be “all” hands on. Thus getting rid of the paper certified guys in the industry.

Paper MCSEs

by cg it ·

I agree about getting rid of paper MCSEs. Heck, I just read an article in Redmond Mag by a paper MCSE [he got his in the late 1990s during the dot com boom] and he even admitted after he got it he wouldn’t have been able to desgin a Windows AD network.

during the dot com boom, IT became a way to employ a lot of people. Even today, many job retraining and unemployment training programs are obtaining a A+ or MCSA/MCSE certification. Just check in Careerbuilder using the keyword MCSA and see all the internship positions. The company is New Horizons Learning Center and they get govt $$ to train unemploymed to make them employable. Also relagating IT certs to the land of massage therapists, beauticians, medical claims billers and envelope stuffers.

Viewing 6 reply threads