General discussion

$5000 reward for help with busting mean spirited cracker.

By deepsand ·
This is sheer maliciousness, deliberately inflicted on countless undeserving victims.

The vandals should be drawn & quartered alive.

==================================================

Topics > Privacy & Security > Hackers >

Bulletin Board Service Hit by Hacker Attack

Hackers erased historical postings stored on several bulletin boards.

Cara Garretson, Network World
Thursday, June 09, 2005

Ezboard, which hosts service to hundreds of thousands of online bulletin boards, suffered a hacker attack on Memorial Day that permanently erased countless postings.

Unlike a typical attack that aims to bring down a service for boasting rights or steal sensitive information to be used in identity theft, the goal of the Ezboard breach appears to have solely been to erase historical postings stored on the company's servers.

"Someone decided to erase data from our users' boards and unfortunately really hurt a lot of innocent people," says Robert Labatt, CEO of Ezboard, which hosts a wide variety of sites including common-interest and support groups. "I have received e-mails from mothers, cancer patients, people upset with the impact this is having on their lives. With the loss of the posts, a lot of emotions went with them."

Suspicions

Ezboard has some ideas about who might be behind the attack, Labatt says, and is pursuing all possibilities with the help of the FBI. The company is also offering a $5000 reward to anyone with information that leads to the direct arrest and conviction of the hacker.

The company is not ruling out the possibility of the hacker being an insider. "There's a big different between script kiddies and malicious intent. It's more likely whoever came in here was not a script kiddie," Labatt says.

As part of its hosting service, Ezboard employs over 200 servers that store production and back-up data, and would not specify how many of them had postings erased in the attack. Labatt won't specify what security measures the company had in place. "Things you would imagine an organization like ours should have in place we have in place," he says. The company will undergo a security and back-up audit over the next few weeks, Labatt told Ezboard users in an e-mail.

Upon discovering the attack, Ezboard immediately began data restoration processes, although the company warns that it will be impossible to restore all data to all boards. As of yesterday, no one server that lost data in the attack had been completely restored.

The company does not believe financial or other sensitive information was taken in the breach, since Ezboard stores that data separately.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

43 total posts (Page 2 of 5)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Good Analogy

by tagmarkman In reply to Per the article, they do ...

I like that analogy...
Very visual...

Are we talking crackers or hackers?

Remember when hackers were just after information :)

Collapse -

crackers

by apotheon In reply to Good Analogy

The term "hacker" needn't have anything to do with computer security at all. I, for instance, am a Perl hack (I wouldn't be so arrogant as to call myself a hacker, yet, in that regard). This means I hack Perl code. It is done entirely on my own computer, though when I've written some code I often offer it to others, if it should come up.

A cracker, on the other hand, is one who "cracks" system or network security. That's an entirely separate animal. Let's not confuse the terms.

Collapse -

Blame the media on that one

by jdclyde In reply to crackers

the term hacker has been bastardised by the media and by hollywood so that in the minds of the mindless masses, hacker = cracker. Only difference is they don't even KNOW the word cracker.

Reality is preception and this word is ruined till the end of time.

Just like the Flintstones theme song is now a gay anthem instead of just being "happy".

Collapse -

I've dropped hacker from my lexicon...

by jmgarvin In reply to Blame the media on that o ...

I'm now using white hat, gray hat, and black hat. While I'd say most would fall into the gray hat category (oh look...and open door, let me peak in!) those black hats are sure getting out of hand. I've seen a lot more activity lately and it seems to be pretty focused on distruction. Now I know the typical stuff will be hit (PETA, fur sites, specific blogs, etc), but it seems (is it really...it doesn't seem to be showing up on the storm monitor) to be getting more frequent...

I also wish the media would latch on to this. There are good "hackers" (uh...hackers) and bad "hackers" (crackers). The media is pretty stupid when it comes to technology so their "experts" tell them the buzz words.

Collapse -

There was a time when virtually all "hackers" were merely those with ...

by deepsand In reply to I've dropped hacker from ...

an insatiable curiosity re. the inner workings & hidden mechanisms of things.

Eventually, enough others learned how to use such knowledge to their own personal gain, forever tarnished a once proud moniker.

As an old timer, for me it's still "Hacker, good; Cracker, bad." Or, "HG" & "CB."

Cracker, of course, originated from "safe cracker."

Collapse -

Cracking

by AcesKaraoke In reply to I've dropped hacker from ...

It's just deplorable that these sociopaths have the power to ruin so many lives. Why waste your talents making the world a little bit worse, instead of better.

Collapse -

a harsh reminder

by tagmarkman In reply to I've dropped hacker from ...

"It's just deplorable that these sociopaths have the power to ruin so many lives. Why waste your talents making the world a little bit worse, instead of better."

I agree... Why a little worse than a little better... I think it's horrible what was done.

On the flip side, I think we need a little bit of a slap in the face once in a while to give us a reality check. If an organized union of some type came out of nowhere... we'd be screwed... at least we have some slaps on the hand now and again to remind us that the world isn't always a nice place.

Collapse -

Hmmmm

by tagmarkman In reply to crackers

Fair enough.... I just see soooo many definitions thrown around in the past two decades I like people to define a little of what they mean.

For example... Cracker used to be know as someone that would crack programs by taking copy protection out of it. Hackers were people that "hacked" into systems even though it was also used to describe someone that hacked at code to get it to work. About a zillion other terms were used to describe differences of a similar strain... Pirates, Elite, Thugs, Phreakers, White Hat, Black Hat, etc... Some use improperly others not.

I suppose I was just tired when I asked that question an I didn't look at the content of the post too much.

Collapse -

You just need more caffeine!

by deepsand In reply to Hmmmm

Sleep deprivation is a leading cause of brain farts.

Collapse -

Well. some of us old timers "hacked" our way into systems as a learning ...

by deepsand In reply to crackers

experience; i.e., we sought to know & understand the inner workings & hidden mechanisms.

Would you call us "crackers?"

Back to Security Forum
43 total posts (Page 2 of 5)   Prev   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next