General discussion

$5000 reward for help with busting mean spirited cracker.

By deepsand ·
This is sheer maliciousness, deliberately inflicted on countless undeserving victims.

The vandals should be drawn & quartered alive.

==================================================

Topics > Privacy & Security > Hackers >

Bulletin Board Service Hit by Hacker Attack

Hackers erased historical postings stored on several bulletin boards.

Cara Garretson, Network World
Thursday, June 09, 2005

Ezboard, which hosts service to hundreds of thousands of online bulletin boards, suffered a hacker attack on Memorial Day that permanently erased countless postings.

Unlike a typical attack that aims to bring down a service for boasting rights or steal sensitive information to be used in identity theft, the goal of the Ezboard breach appears to have solely been to erase historical postings stored on the company's servers.

"Someone decided to erase data from our users' boards and unfortunately really hurt a lot of innocent people," says Robert Labatt, CEO of Ezboard, which hosts a wide variety of sites including common-interest and support groups. "I have received e-mails from mothers, cancer patients, people upset with the impact this is having on their lives. With the loss of the posts, a lot of emotions went with them."

Suspicions

Ezboard has some ideas about who might be behind the attack, Labatt says, and is pursuing all possibilities with the help of the FBI. The company is also offering a $5000 reward to anyone with information that leads to the direct arrest and conviction of the hacker.

The company is not ruling out the possibility of the hacker being an insider. "There's a big different between script kiddies and malicious intent. It's more likely whoever came in here was not a script kiddie," Labatt says.

As part of its hosting service, Ezboard employs over 200 servers that store production and back-up data, and would not specify how many of them had postings erased in the attack. Labatt won't specify what security measures the company had in place. "Things you would imagine an organization like ours should have in place we have in place," he says. The company will undergo a security and back-up audit over the next few weeks, Labatt told Ezboard users in an e-mail.

Upon discovering the attack, Ezboard immediately began data restoration processes, although the company warns that it will be impossible to restore all data to all boards. As of yesterday, no one server that lost data in the attack had been completely restored.

The company does not believe financial or other sensitive information was taken in the breach, since Ezboard stores that data separately.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

43 total posts (Page 4 of 5)   Prev   02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

criminy

by apotheon In reply to probably not

the logic: I'm operating on a system of ethics whose central principle is that initiations of force are wrong. Considering I've already justified such an ethical principle with a logical progression from cogito ergo sum, I'm not really keen on revisiting this just because you would rather filibuster than address the issue at hand.

Collapse -

Hackers good; Crackers bad.

by deepsand In reply to Good Analogy

Note the alphabetical contiguences; HG & CB.

Makes for an easy mnemonic.

Collapse -

" $5000 reward for help with busting mean spirited cracker."

by TomSal In reply to $5000 reward for help wit ...

Ok...$5,000.00 ...well at least we know he or she is white.

Sorry couldn't resist...

Collapse -

Why not Ritz!

by deepsand In reply to " $5000 reward for help w ...
Collapse -

Lol

by tagmarkman In reply to Why not Ritz!

now your just cracking me up... silly pun intended.

Collapse -

It's a shame the black hats are'nt called "cookies."

by deepsand In reply to Lol

Just think of all the fun we could have with that.

Collapse -

LMAO

by tagmarkman In reply to It's a shame the black ha ...

That is beautiful... If it weren't for unix and web cookies, I might have actually adopted that and used it in one of my conference speeches. :)

Collapse -

Since so many paranoid & clueless users now routinely toss their cookies, .

by deepsand In reply to LMAO

perhaps you can get some mileage out of that angle.

Better hurry, thought, while they're still around. At the present rate, we'll soon need to use a different method for providing persistency across a stateless process.

Collapse -

Nice...

by tagmarkman In reply to Since so many paranoid & ...

Sounds like an article... I'd definately read it. :)

Collapse -

EZ Board has never been flush with money

by beads In reply to $5000 reward for help wit ...

Simple as this. EZ board though tremendously active and draws thousands if not millions of posts everyday is not a paid subscription service. Yes, you can donate money. Yes, you can pay for a "premium" account (no ads). Most folks don't. So, I wouldn't be surprised that if they were hacked, EZ board wouldn't have all the lastest and greatest technology available.

Don't get me wrong. I love EZ board as much as the next poster with over 5k in postings on one board alone. This has to be hard on the organization, itself. Personally, I applaud them even being able to come up with $5,000 as it is. For that matter, Sony Online Entertainment (Everquest I, II and Lords) should be throwing in some real money as most every "guild", class and subject matter related to EQ was bounced around on EZ Boards for years and still to this day! They alone have been the recipient of a much more lucretive windfall than EZ Board ever thought of because of those boards.

- beads

Back to Security Forum
43 total posts (Page 4 of 5)   Prev   02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next