General discussion

About Internet In Windows 2000

By ask_anurag ·
Hi,
I hv 10 windows 2000 prof. clients and windows 2000 adv. server.I want that my clients share internet frm w2k server.I don't want to enable ICS.I also set one scope in my dhcp server on my w2kserver.I am using Dialup Connection for this.How i do it.
Anurag.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to About Internet In Windows ...

A router would probably be the easiest way. I do agree with the previous response that you should definitely look into DSL or cable service rather than straight analog dial-up. However, you can do it with dial-up, too, if you want to. All you haveto do is get the appropriate type of router (analog, DSL or cable). LinkSys or NetGear both have inexpensive routers that will automatically do NAT (network address translation) so that you can keep your internal private IP addresses and share onlythe single public IP address provided by your ISP when you dial in. Most of these inexpensive routers have good, simple setup instructions included - if you have sound basic networking and TCP/IP knowledge, you shouldn't have any problem. Hope thishelps!

Collapse -

by ask_anurag In reply to About Internet In Windows ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by matthew.rodriguez In reply to About Internet In Windows ...

Actually guys, I have the same question, I would like to use Windows 2000 server or Advanced server in order to be able to share a Cable\DSL connection. I'm already using a linux based router\firewall distro, which works pretty nice, but I would like to learn a little more on AD and TSing on the Windows side. I know that I would have to define the routes, but I don't know exactly what to define. The system I have has 2 network cards, I would assume, if its anything like the linux config, onenic would work on the outside and the other on the inside. But since the IP address is dynamically configured by the ISP, how can this work?

Any help is most appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
15 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02