Smartphones

Question

Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked Keyboard/TouchPad

By homertrix.ray ·
Hi, hope someone here can help me. I've got an Acer Aspire 5100 and 2 nights ago i was using it and all was well. Fell asleep while watching a movie on it and it blocked 2 hours after i fell asleep more or less. Thought nothing of it, turned it off and rebooted it. Got a CMOS error that I've had a few times before so unplugged it, took battery out and plugged it back in again. When it started up, both keyboard and touchpad are dead. When i get to the windows log-in screen, sometimes the FN + F6 combination works but that's all. I've took it to a friend who is a PC Repair guy and he says all cables are firmly connected, no problem there. Anyone have this problem ever? I don't know if I need a new keyboard or what to do. I rang Acer and they want the recipt but as it was a present from my exgirlfriend, i don't have it. My mate says maybe i leaned on the keyboard while sleeping and had some keys held down for a prolongued time and the CMOS or BIOS has locked the keyboard and touchpad and that maybe resetting the CMOS/BIOS by jumper or removing the battery will unlock them... Any suggestions anyone?? Really hope i can repair it cheaply as it is the only pc i have!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

re: Laptop life expectancy

by reknoZ In reply to Laptop life expectancy

That's nonsense.

Barring physical defects, usually a dying/dead hard disk which can be easily replaced, there is no reason that a laptop can't last 4-6 years. Easily.

I've had hundreds of clients whose laptops I've worked on. When I get them they are already 2-3 years old. I do a system refresh (reinstall Windows, etc.), maybe upgrade the memory, maybe the disk, and voil?! Their system runs as good as the day they bought it and no reason to believe it won't last another 2-3 years.

No, it's not the belle of the ball. It's not the fastest on the block. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But, it's a great workhorse for surfing the 'net, checking email, Skype, listening to iTunes, writing a term paper, etc.

Telling people a laptop has a life expectancy of 2-3 years is just wrong and forcing people to upgrade when it's not necessary.

Collapse -

Try the toggle switch

by pat_skerrett In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked ...

The Fn+F7 toggles the touchpad on and off. The button to the left of the ON button above the keyboard does the same thing. The light next to it should be off for the touchpad to work.

Collapse -

Solution

by elikovich In reply to Try the toggle switch

Same problem with my 4810T. I found it was related to uninstalling the Acer "Launch Manager" utility. Once I reinstalled it, it works fine.

Collapse -

A test

by spiralnexus In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked ...

Here is one way to see if it a simple issue such as just a overload shut off. Take off the hinge cover, unscrew the 2 screws for the keyboard. Pull the keboard up gently towards the screen and then rotate it towards you exposing the MB and connectors set it down keyside to palmrest on the laptop. remove the connectors for both the keyboard and the touchpad. Now plug it up and power on. If it starts go ahead and power off again before windows load screen comes up. Plug in a USB keyboard after powering off. Then power on again.if it boots up and you can use the keyboard you are in business. Shut it down and reconnect the cords for palmrest and keyboard. power on and see if it works.
I have had my 5100 since 2005 and have never really had an issue other than my keyboard dying after a few drops of pepsi went under the 0 key it took 2 weeks beforeit killed 0 then 2 days later 9 and - went out then 2,5, and 1. the next day t-Pgup went on the next row and thats when I pulled the keyboard and started using USB for a month until I ordered a new keyboard and a protective cover. That is the only issue I have ever had with mine other than windows bloat. Still running all original equipment except the keyboard. Oh but my battery needs to be replaced as I have had it so long. Do you guys ever clean the heatpipe? I have to clean mine once a month or te system starts to hang and foul up.

Collapse -

Same problem *BUMP*

by Disgrountled In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked ...

Hello

I have the same issue.
Acer Aspire 5100
Freezed keyboard+mouse+usb ports
Reseted bios (from J2 jumper and/or removing battery) no change in bios version or commands from usb/mouse/usb ports
Booted from HDD (with windows XP installed) no change
Can`t install windows vista/7 on that HDD ( no compatible slot for HDD *PATA* on another computer )
Booted from CD (linux) by removing HDD
Linux does not recognize keyboard or mouse or usb (key/mouse)
Question is :

Should I get a PCMCIA card with USB?Would the computer automaticaly recognize the PCMCIA card so I can attach a keyboard/mouse too it?Will the latest bios update fix my problem if the above will work?

Please reply ASAP.Thanks alot
Best Regards

Collapse -

Don't bump

by NexS In reply to Same problem *BUMP*

Start your own question.
You will be tended to.

Collapse -

re: Don't bump

by reknoZ In reply to Don't bump

Why not bump an existing thread?

If a new thread is started for the *same* problem, then when someone searches for the problem, they'll be led multiple pages. Which is good for the whole advertising thing and sponsored links, but not good for the person trying to solve the problem.

Collapse -

Aspire 5100 Touchpad Issue

by Dowayne In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked ...

I have had my laptop for about 5-6 years and I know that I will have it for a lot longer. I have had an issue with my touchpad for about 3 years because the left side button broke and they was going to take about two months to fix it. I could not go that long without my laptop at the time. Then when I checked it was too much to pay to get a new one. Now, I am trying to find one that I can buy to replace it. Anyone have any ideas on where or how much I can get one for? As far as how long a laptop should work for.... There is no reason that you can't get at least 10 years out of any pc whether it is a desktop or laptop. You just need to do proper maintenance and take care of the computer. Just like anything that you own. Just wanted to add my two cents. Good luck on getting your pcs fixed.

Collapse -

Acer Aspire 5500 Series

by catalyst9 In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked ...

Thanks to all who answered/clarified this MANUFACTURER issue because this will NEVER get resolved until Acer addresses the obvious design flaw in their computers. My Acer hasn't worked for a month and they want me to ship it to Texas for repairs....unfortunately, I will have no money until May for UPS/Fedex and have to go to the local library to submit my school finals....GRRrrr!!
I WILL email ejulaw@hotmail.com to hopefully get this issue resolved because I can't afford to GIVE a business $400 AND their product doesn't work for SHOOT!!!

Collapse -

Acer Aspire 5100 series

by loidab In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked ...

Same problem here. Acer sucks, I will NEVER buy it's products again!!