Smartphones

Question

Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked Keyboard/TouchPad

By homertrix.ray ·
Hi, hope someone here can help me. I've got an Acer Aspire 5100 and 2 nights ago i was using it and all was well. Fell asleep while watching a movie on it and it blocked 2 hours after i fell asleep more or less. Thought nothing of it, turned it off and rebooted it. Got a CMOS error that I've had a few times before so unplugged it, took battery out and plugged it back in again. When it started up, both keyboard and touchpad are dead. When i get to the windows log-in screen, sometimes the FN + F6 combination works but that's all. I've took it to a friend who is a PC Repair guy and he says all cables are firmly connected, no problem there. Anyone have this problem ever? I don't know if I need a new keyboard or what to do. I rang Acer and they want the recipt but as it was a present from my exgirlfriend, i don't have it. My mate says maybe i leaned on the keyboard while sleeping and had some keys held down for a prolongued time and the CMOS or BIOS has locked the keyboard and touchpad and that maybe resetting the CMOS/BIOS by jumper or removing the battery will unlock them... Any suggestions anyone?? Really hope i can repair it cheaply as it is the only pc i have!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

My problem solved like this in ACER 5101awlmi

by tmartisk In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked ...

I tryed like user beastcat says:
"One was acheived with battery power only, using the CTRL+ESC method where you hold the 2 buttons & power on the machine, then hard-power off. Restart, hit F2, and get in to the BIOS"
Like that I manage to get in bios, then I just saved and exit. Windows started and KB worked fine.. Mouse didn't worked but becouse now I had working KB, I just pressed FN+F7 -> mouse started to work and USB worked also.
Thank you guys.

Collapse -

Keyboard + Mouse freezing SOLUTION

by xtwister161 In reply to Acer Aspire 5100 - Locked ...

If you have your MOUSE and KEYBOARD freezing, most times and usable at all (but an external mouse works). Here is a better solution to using the laptop without a battery.

Go to your control panel, open device manager, and DISABLE the battery controller. You might need to reboot, but for me the mouse and keyboard started working right away.