Question

• Creator
    Topic

Analyzing this Event Viewer Error

by johnjackson1132 ·

I need to break this down bit by bit if I must. Anyone know of any good applications / resources for helping to understand these things to a T. I can make the most of the basics, but I want to tear the HEXDEC apart.

Faulting application name: PlanetSide2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50f0af29
    Faulting module name: PlanetSide2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50f0af29
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x016c870f
    Faulting process id: 0x111c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cdf0af48907a10
    Faulting application path: F:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    Faulting module path: F:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    Report Id: 8ac8ef53-5ca2-11e2-a0ba-50e54948d153

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by johnjackson1132 ·

In reply to Analyzing this Event Viewer Error

Clarifications

Access Violation

by gechurch ·

In reply to Analyzing this Event Viewer Error

Exception code: 0xc0000005 is an access violation. This happens any time a program tries to access memory (RAM) that it doesn’t have access to. For example, it will happen if a program tries to write to memory that is marked as read only, or tries to read memory that the system owns like location 0x00000000. The latter is a really common mistake, that happens when code tries to look up the address of something, and gets null/0 returned but the program doesn’t check for an error code before continuing.

Anyway, causes for this are:
      * Bad code
      * A faulty driver (well, this is also bad code)
      * Faulty RAM
      * Something external getting in the way, like an antivirus scanner

In my experience bad code is easily the most common problem, so I would check to see if Sony have an update to the software. The fault offset is (I think) the offset from the base of the DLL to the code that caused the crash to happen. Is that number the same on every crash? If so that would be a strong indicator that Sony’s code is at fault. If not, disable your antivirus’ realtime scanner for a while to see if that makes the problem stop, and download and run Memtest 86+ overnight to make sure your physical RAM is ok.

Viewing 1 reply thread