General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

[b] ** RE-RAISED** BRIT MEET & GREET! [/b]

by gadgetgirl ·

See update post at end of thread, people!

😡

Kiltie threw this idea out in another post, so I’m putting this thread up for general thoughts.

Who’s in the UK? Who’d like to meet up?

Initial thoughts are to meet in late Spring/early Summer and have a general good time.

Where? Once we know who’s interested we can set a central location, with good transport links for those of us not inclined to drive.

What? Whatever you like (ok, within reason, you lot!) We can do the weekend thing, or an overnighter, or a meal and a drink, or just a drink. It’s up to whatever takes your fancy. :8} (within reason….!)

I forgot to turn off the “Volunteer” switch in my brain, so have volunteered to co-ordinate this/book rooms, hotels, B & B’s as decided or restaurants/bars for meals/drinks. 🙂 All you’ll have to do is co-ordinate your own transport.

So, it’s over to you. Who’s up for it?

Ok, I promise I’ll turn the man-eater level to low (it never gets switched off….. 😉 )

Hell, I’ll even promise to speak English and not Geordie, if that’ll help any!

Posts on here, or pm’s to me, I don’t mind.

GG

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Well, see how you are

by jdclyde ·

In reply to [b] ** RE-RAISED** BRIT MEET & GREET! [/b]

Leaving the rest of us out in the cold!

Hope you lot have a grand time anyways! Someone remember to take some pics!

but ya know what?

by jaqui ·

In reply to Well, see how you are

this could be done for every area. :p

you could get everyone from Moldy Intestines to get together. 😀
        though it might be a good idea to not have it in the land of confusion. ]:)
        everyone is confused enough at meet and greets.

Used to do this at AFU

by jamesrl ·

In reply to but ya know what?

I hosted one in a Toronto Bar – only 6 people but what the heck it was fun anyway.

I’d be happy to host if people want to make their way here.

James

So what

by oz_media ·

Denman Station? Numbers? errrr. no thanks.
        (damn, they still around? It’s been a while sicne I was a downtown hound).

I’d always come down to the Dover Arms for a few with you though.

Sorry that was aimed for Jaqui, but posted under your for some reason. I’ve been having a hell of a time with TR lately.

only

by jaqui ·

In reply to So what

Numbers is still around.

Celebreties, Moosehead, Pump Jack’s [ used to be Doll and Penny’s ], Oddesy and the Dufferin for the gay bars.

The Plaza, Dicks on Dicks, Roxy, Cecil, Cellar, Tonic, Caprice, Au Bar, The Drink, Sonar, Penthouse, Cobalt, American [ and the wino central joints on Hastings ] for Straight Bars.
          [ Downtown only, the list is way to long if we add the outskirts of Vancouver, never mind the burbs, like Burnaby, New West, Coquitlam, Surrey, Richmond, North Van, West Van. ]

Really, I think you would rather the Fireside or Mugs ‘N Jugs [ peeler bar.. or was last time I was in it ]

Hey Im not THAT out of touch

by oz_media ·

In reply to only

It’s just the bars and clubs around the bent-end that I don’t keep up with.

I am in close contact with most others, through booking their acts for them.

Mugs and Jugs is a dive full of bottom feeders, the HA clubs (#5 or Drake) are still okay though, Hells Angels keep the entertainment good there.

Fireside? Just around teh corner from me, but full of old farts and people who think a pint of Blue while the wife plays Bingo is a great evening out. (too Surrey’ish for me.)

I’ve hung out at so many of them though, over the years, including Funky WinkerBeans, the old Grand Union and Balmoral. It’s not that I’m too stuck up, but simply don’t have the patience for the patrons anymore; I left that life behind many years ago.

Celebrities and such, not my bag (sorry for the pun) but I have a ‘wide variety’ of friends so I’ve been pretty much everywhere down there.

I should try and make it down that end more often, I always liked hanging out on English Bay (in a secluded cormer without the yahoos and tourists)and walking the seawall is always good excercise.

well

by jaqui ·

In reply to Hey Im not THAT out of touch

I tend to not hit the bars at all.
          In a way, Calabs is the best out of them, classed a gay bar, but completely non discrimnatory, with 75% of business from the straight community.
          [ gods, the hot women going in there ]:) ]
          And it’s where Sanctuary is being held now, instead of the Purple Onion.
          [ Goth Night, with a heavy dose of Fetish ]:) ]

I’m more likely to wander into a Blenz or Timmy’s than a Bar on any given night.

ahh, a great place, fantastic food, licensed [ for the booze hounds ] Vera’s burgers on Davie.
          [ right beside Celebreties ]

There are at least 8 members from the lower mainland here.
          could actually make a fun afternoon / evening.

Vera’s

by oz_media ·

In reply to well

Always has been the best burger downtown. Even better than Fuddruckers. (but i am still partial to Wally’s on Kingsway).

As for gay/mixed bars, when I worked in Bentall area half the staff were gay, half were straight, we’d bar hops without thought as to who was where. That’s one thing I do like about downtown, for teh most part it’s pretty liberal and accepting, though a bit too trendy with the lap dog craze. I was actually asked many times when meeting new people, “Where’s your dog?” as if it was an accessory or something.

Bars, not so much this last year, when working with acts I don’t usually even turn up anymore, too many endless nights in bars for me. But last year and in previous years, I would go from a skid bar on East Hastings, to the 5, to Stages, to Denman Station, then back up to Dicks on Dicks, then perhaps teh Cecil, then the Yale etc.

All bars were sources of income, so I didn’t hold prejudices on who went where. It’s kinda fun that way too, you meet a greater variety of people, instead of the typical bar chicks you seen to find in every corner of the planet.

A buddy of mine is/was heavy into the latex, rubber and fetish trip for years, I never really hung out for such nights at local clubs, but I couldn’t give a toss what people choose to do either, it’s just not MY thing that’s all.

God knows I am not one to judge someone for their choices.

As long as you have fun and nobody loses an eye, well not BOTH eyes anyway, who cares what people do?

Hey!

by gadgetgirl ·

It’s not intentional, it’s just there’s a bloody big expanse of water between us.

Personally, I think that any others who want to join us would be an [b] added bonus [/b]! 😉

Yes, that’s an open invitation – but again, I’ll help with accommodation etc., but you sort your own bloody transport!

(my little Trusty camera with the 512 card is already packed, jd! :p )

GG

Seems a little unfair

by dmambo ·

You small-country people could realistically pull this off, but us big-country folks probably can’t. I don’t think this is an equitable situation.

Ah, well. I hope you pull this together, GG. It sounds like fun. Keep everyone up-to-date.

now now

by oz_media ·

In reply to Seems a little unfair

Remember, you escaped that p1sshole for a Brave New World, a land of freedom and vast expanses of land where you find it virtually impossible to meet friends from around your country but have no choice but to put up with the idiots on your own street. 🙂

Nice, warm, fuzzy feeling time.

Grief, Dangermouse….

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Seems a little unfair

unfair? unfair? small-country people? Sheesh. Don’t you have ANY idea how much I’d give to be over [b] that side of the pond [/b] right now?

You [i] can [/i] do this too – just over a number of areas instead of one. Hell, if it helps, I’ll even help co-ordinate from a distance if that’ll put your happy head back on!

Once it’s sorted and sussed, I’ll put it up on the board for any TR members to surprise us – that should keep everyone on their toes!

GG

What’s needed

by ed woychowsky ·

In reply to Grief, Dangermouse….

What we need is a way that we can meet each other regardless of wear we’re from. Along the lines of “Hey, I’m going on holiday/vacation to xxxxx in yyyyy, who want’s to get together for drinks?” Of course, this means that people who live in either Florida or London will eventually meet everybody.

Just all…

by now left tr ·

In reply to What’s needed

sway to an IT conference in a city at the same time.

Hell why not

by tony hopkinson ·

I’m in.

hic :p

Tony!

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Hell why not

Your name is alzo on zee leezt!

Can you let me have your email via pm sometime? Ta muchly!

😀

GG

Hmm date and time

by oz_media ·

Enough advance and I’ll come back for agood piss up (er, meeting).

I have a few things to do there next year, a festival (in Germany) and some promo work, maybe thay will work out.

You’d be more than welcome, Oz!

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Hmm date and time

the more the merrier!

Let me know when you get your dates sorted out…..!

Oh – and if Snowy Canada is still brrr! remember to leave your thermals over there, you won’t need them here!

GG

Snowy Canada, Brrrrrrr!

by oz_media ·

In reply to You’d be more than welcome, Oz!

Canada is cold and snowy, we wear seal skins to work and live in igloos. It is not a nice place to visit!

We all just say that so the Americans stay home, as soon as they come up here, we can’t get rid of them again. They start moving families, business etc. into Canada and, lo and behold, there goes the neighbourhood!

Now let me go and carve some more ice blocks, the roof is melting. 😉

In reality, London got WAY more snow that we did in Vancouver last year. The US generally gets far worse snow storms that we do out here in the west. It’s veyr mild and very much like southern England here. Although you’ve had some great weather this fall! But it’s usually mild, overcast and drizzly/rainy here for fall and winter.

Woohoohooo

by stargazerr ·

Brilliant Idea.

How about sometime feb GG ? And wherever is Neil ? I havent seen him around in quite a while 😀

I am definately in. What say we make a list to keep track of the half a dozen people coming .. ? hehehe

GG
      Tony
      Oz?
      SG
      Neil?

Everyone come to london. That way, I dont have to move around and we can all have a great time .. There are loads of places to go around here 😉

]:)

Star there is a very good reason Neil’s been missing lately

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Woohoohooo

GG has finally caught up with him and punished him for standing her up. I believe that he’s getting out of Hospital or more correctly will start Rehab some time in late March 07 if he’s lucky. :^0

Though that time frame is still very flexible it depends on what extra operations are required in the [b]Mean Time![/b] :p

HUM you didn’t have anything to do with GG finding out where he was hiding in London did you? 🙂

Col

SG

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Woohoohooo

late spring seems to be better for most, but I’ll pm you.

I seem to have been outvoted on the London bit so far, so I may have to pick your brains as to where we go. Thanks for that. Means I have to fork out for an overnighter! Nah – I’ll just invoice you…..

Neil is a yes, but is offline at the moment. Well, he said he’d get to this thread on Friday. If he says yes this time and doesn’t show – well, I’ll really get him back.

Oh, and see below – you can Kiltie to your list, too!

GG

Got it in one

by stargazerr ·

In reply to SG

Like I said … I can put up a few unruly ones in my lofts 😉 No
          trouble at all …

PMing me is the best way to get thru to me … I am very bad
          when it comes to showing up on threads …

woo hoo

by shellbot ·

if we have it kinda late spring early summer I’m up for it!!

Has to be central-ish though..(somewhere i can fly into from Dublin)

We could do something geeky..is there any computer museums in london?..(hahahaa..only joking) and then dinner and DRINKS or whatever.

Would be a good laugh allright.

Rob is close to UK, maybe he’d be able to make it as well?

Shell I suggested that we all meet up at the Isle of Man for the TT’s

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to woo hoo

That way we would all feel at home playing with Engine Management Systems on the racing Motorcycles. We could even claim it as a Training exercise. :^0

But Her Majestic Majesty has knocked that on the head. Maybe she doesn’t like [b]Real Ice-cream![/b] 🙁

Col

Ahem! She can’t [i] have [/i] real ice creammmm!

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Shell I suggested that we all meet up at the Isle of Man for the TT’s

Don’t you think Kiltie and I travelling to London is enough?

You think I want to risk the transport system in the UK with getting to the IoM??

To watch little boys playing with their toys?

When I could be [b] imbibing my G & T [/b]??

If you think that, Col, you’ve not only lost the plot, you were never in full possession of it in the first place……

😉

GG

Edit: oh, and Shell – keep an eye out on that website I sent you for dates of when their special offers come out.

Good idea about Rob! – hey, the more the merrier!

Well thank you :)

by rob mekel ·

In reply to woo hoo

But I don’t want to impose myself on to the islanders. But if they like my presence I would love to come over 🙂

Alltho … the computer museum visite 🙁 … the other stuff about drinking and dinner 🙂 count me in.

Rob

[i]emoticons @#$%$#@ will I ever learn???[/i]

Rob

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Well thank you :)

– consider yourself counted!

:p

GG

eeeeeewwwww :)

by rob mekel ·

In reply to Rob

That is what I call a quicky. :0

Didn’t have a change to read back my own post or the invite is there 🙂

Thank you GG, you’re a girl to my heart 😡

Rob

Go for it GG

by kiltie ·

I am sure, also, that GG didn’t mean to restrict the meet n greet to only Brits.

Given enough of an advance notice (say late spring or summer), maybe folks can be flying in from across The Pond, or burrowing up from Down Under.

For a location, I would prefer somewhere down south, where they have decent real ale (hehe) even though it’s much further for me.

Someone started a rumour that GG will be buying the drinks 😉

(Maybe that rumour was started by a tight fisted Scot?)

I’m not sure about the idea of turning “the Man Eater” level to low though, how on earth will we recognise her without that?

You rumourmonger, you!

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Go for it GG

I thought you lot would be buying MY drinks for my organisational workings!

You mean to say I have to buy YOURS as well as MINE??

No chance. Remember, Kiltie, I’m of Scottish decent. Old Border Reiver stock. So you stand as much chance as…..fly.

As for recognising me – I’ll be the five foot tall one, with the unruly hair, flashing eyes, stilletos and extremely raunchy top, long skirt with extremely high split up the side covering the stockings and suspenders, flirting outrageously. And yes, the raunchy top fits where it touches….!

(Worried yet??!! ]:) )

GG

A note to you all:

by now left tr ·

Have any of you actually taken part in a meeting like this before?

You may find things don’t work out as you ‘imagine’ and the group disbands / splits forever.

Keep it in mind.

valid point

by shellbot ·

In reply to A note to you all:

Tech, however, what if things work out good and we get drunk, have a laugh (talk about JD behind his back), and part ways planning to do it again?

Of course it all go up KaKa creek quickly, but i think if you keep it to a 1 day thing it will be ok.

Even if it turns out you can’t stand someone, its only for the day, its not like we all moving in together right?

If it don’t turn out like we think it does, anyone can duck out and just not come back for the second round of drinks. I think people would understand..not everyone gets on with everyone.

As long as we keep it all friendly like..i mean..i don’t fancy finding Neil in a compromising situation with anyone if ya know what i mean ]:)

My experience

by jamesrl ·

In reply to valid point

AFU get togethers were a bonding experience. It all worked out happily. Drinks were consumed, stories told.

James

That’s what I’m aiming for, James

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to My experience

(Can YOU get over for this??)

Just a good time being had by all. I think we’re all bad enough and old enough to fend for ourselves in TR company. (Notice I didn’t say big. Can’t. Vertically challenged as well as everything else!)

It’s only a “board” meeting, it’s not going to be life changing. Well. If cupid strikes, or if someone offers someone else a job it could be, but you understand what I’m getting at.

GG

Can I get over?

by jamesrl ·

In reply to That’s what I’m aiming for, James

Possibly. Not sure the wife would appreciate me leaving her in sole care of our three, but she has done it to me often enough with weekend conferences.

I would probably not fly across the Atlantic for 2 days, but three might do it – I sleep fine on airplanes, and I have some airline points saved up.

I think networking is always a good thing.

James

Nothing ventured

by tony hopkinson ·

nothing lost 😀

I thought you’d be bigger!

Err…Tony?

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Nothing ventured

Did you post in the wrong place?

Or did you think TechMail would be bigger?!

As for me? Yes, I am.

Bigger, that is.

Just not in height…..!!

(Now is the time to hit jd and DMambo for info if you missed that thread last summer!! ]:) )

GG

No Offence but…

by now left tr ·

In reply to Nothing ventured

how was I to know you like to touch your toes while leaning agains chipboard walls. Not my cup-‘o’-cha thanks all the same!

I suggest you go ‘Outside’ IN THE SUNSHINE 🙂

You were n’t the TechMale

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to No Offence but…

who PM’ed me then :O

😀 : D

Most bad meetings

by jdclyde ·

are because people are not true to themselves when they post on a board. If they play a part when on-line, then they can’t pull it off when they finally meet face to face.

The people that put our their true annoying selves all the time will be just fine.

The regulars are less likely to have been able to keep up the masquerade, and others would have seen through the act.

This sounds wonderful (even if it IS just copying MY idea of a Vegas meeting from a few months back…….)

Have one for me, not one ABOUT me!

Can’t I do both??!!

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Most bad meetings

for and about, I mean! 😉

You never know, jd, that Vegas thing could still be a go-er at some point…

GG

Edit: too much typing makes for dyslexic thinking….

Well, despite the insults back up the thread

by neilb@uk ·

I’m up for it. I’m on a course so I’m doing this instead of configuring a CommVault DR Storage Policy.

Oh no! I’ve been rumbled… Now I’ve got detention!

Neil 😀

I can put a couple of people up if its held in London. When was Max maybe going to get his Libertarian Butt across here?

Neil

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Well, despite the insults back up the thread

Max said August for the International Scouting thingummyjig.

August could be dodgy for folks summer vacations, including mine. (Yes, I’m getting one, but only cos I’m escorting Ma and Pa)

Now.

Should I frighten the hell out of you and ask if you’ll put me up?? ]:)

GG

Well, given that you’d have my address…

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Neil

I couldn’t very well not appear now, could I?

Neil :p

Yeah. Seems like you’ve got first dibs…

Sound a Like

by now left tr ·

In reply to Well, given that you’d have my address…

Rythmic hitting of a gel wrist rest against a hard top table is on the cards.

Darn Fly – got ya 🙂

Hey! This is YOUR fantasy!

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Sound a Like

You should get together with jdclyde. You’d have such fun!

Neil :p

There you are

by stargazerr ·

In reply to Well, despite the insults back up the thread

I was wondering what you had got to !!

Likewise, I can handle a couple more people in my house ..
        Got a few handy lofts for the unruly ones 😉

See you guys in london

Star don’t trust Neil one little bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to There you are

I tried to give him my daughter a while ago and he ran away scared when she hit the UK.

No matter what I do I just can’t seem to get rid of the kids and the youngest one is around 30. 🙁

Col

So Far we have

by stargazerr ·

GG
      Tony
      Oz?
      SG
      Neil (without the question mark)
      Kiltie (Hiya to you … I havent ever met u have I ??? 🙂 )

me too..

by shellbot ·

In reply to So Far we have

add my name to the list 🙂

Great!

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to me too..

now, can anyone think of any people we’ve missed?

Anyone who’s UK based but offline at the moment?

Anyone else at all??!! 😀 :p

GG

He Ho. Yes, here’s an other one :)

by rob mekel ·

In reply to Great!

That is … when 🙂

Rob

GG you might be able to tempt GOD

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Great!

I don’t know what he up to at the moment but he’s in your area so to speak and may be interested depending on what is happening on the home front right now.

Col

By Default

by now left tr ·

In reply to GG you might be able to tempt GOD

As in being there, depending on your belief systems I would say.

Has big hands according to foke songs.
          &
          Is a binary object as well.

Edit – Lightning Struck the PC and caused s typo

As you have obviously misunderstood my intention

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to By Default

GOD is a Member of TR and has been forever he goes under the Site Name of [b]Guru of Dos[/b] GOD as shorthand for us lowly IT Techs.

There was no reference to any religious overtones at all intended and it is quite obvious that others here understood perfectly what I was getting at.

Col

Hint Taken…

by now left tr ·

In reply to As you have obviously misunderstood my intention

“is quite obvious that others here understood perfectly what I was getting at”

It is glaringly obvious that I knew of no such person when posting as there was no further information available to me (as post time).

I will take leave of this thread.

Many, many thanks for the ‘outcasting’.

GoD vs GOD

by onbliss ·

Didn’t he use “GoD”? Or was it “GOD”… it’s been so long 🙁

Actually he used Guru of Dos

by hal 9000 ·

But everyone else used GOD or GoD as shorthand.

We never used God as that is a direct likeness to the way that several of the Deities are described in various religious texts.

As GOD was an Anagram I always used Capitol Letters but some used a lower case o. Depends on the Peer in question.

Col

Thanks Col

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to GG you might be able to tempt GOD

(and yes, [b] I [/b] know who you mean)

I’ll pm him with a link to the thread and see if he can be tempted!

Thanks for that, babz

GG

We may have met

by kiltie ·

Since I spent most of my working life in the Thames Valley area.

(For our US peers, that is an area about 20 miles west of London, and is considered the UK equivalent of Silicon Valley in US)

Name me a pub you have been to, west of Slough, and I have probably been there.

Me Three

by chris meacher ·

Location, Date, Blood Alcohol Level permitting …

oh dear – pm-ed GG with email addy – eeeep!

Poor guy, you wont last long then

by kiltie ·

In reply to Me Three

A suggestion?

Change your addy/location to Boston, MA?

(or Boston, whatever….. NZ?
          Nah, too many sheep there)

*** grin ***

Ahhh but I have a cunning plan …

by chris meacher ·

In reply to Poor guy, you wont last long then

Since no-one on the forum has actually met me I can casually blend into the background.

At these types of meets I’m usually pretty blended anyways 😉

An Idea that may help :-)

by now left tr ·

Hey you, get in to my car
      Who me?
      Yes you, get in to my car
      Wooooooooooooooh. Wah! Yeah!

Who’s that lady
      Coming down the road
      Who’s that lady
      Who’s that woman
      Walking through my door
      What’s the score
      I’ll be the sun
      Shining on you
      Hey Cinderella
      Step in your shoe
      I’ll be your non-stop lover
      Get it while you can
      Your non-stop miracle
      I’m your man

Get outta my dreams
      Get in to my car
      Get outta my dreams
      Get in the back seat baby
      Get in to my car
      Beep beep, yeah
      Get outta my mind
      Get into my life
      Oooooooooh
      Oh I said hey (Hey) you (You)
      Get in to my car

Oh baby

Lady driver
      Let me take your wheel
      Smooth operator
      Touch my bumper (Bumper)
      Hey, let’s make a deal
      Make it real
      Like a road runner
      Coming after you
      Just like a hero
      Outta the blue
      I’ll be your non-stop lover
      Get it while you can
      Your non-stop miracle
      I’m your man

Get outta my dreams
      Get in to my car
      Get outta my dreams
      Get in to my car
      Beep beep, yeah
      Get outta my mind
      Get into my life
      Oooooooooh
      Get in to my car

Oh baby, let’s go

I said open the door
      (Get in the back)
      Tread on the floor
      (Get on the track)

Yeah (Yeah) Yeah (Yeah)
      Yeah (Yeah) Yeah (Yeah)

Let’s go

Ooooh, woooow, yeah

I’ll be the sun
      Shining on you
      Hey Cinderella
      Step in your shoe
      I’ll be your non’stop lover
      Get it while you can
      Your non-stop miracle
      I’m your man

Get outta my… Get outta my…
      Woooooooooooooh
      Get outta my dreams

Get outta my dreams
      Get in to my car
      Get outta my dreams
      Get in to my car
      Beep beep, yeah
      Get outta my mind
      Get into my life
      Oooooooooh
      Get in to my car

Is this practical? *Need feedback* :D

by gadgetgirl ·

Before you all shoot me down in flames, remember I’m a non-techie for the most part. These are just thoughts forming into something like an idea for consultation, ok?!

At this meetngreet, what if I take my lappie and Skype kit? Would it be possible for others across the pond to Skype in to our get together?? With or without webcams/cameras, whatever. I know it may entail *some* cost, but between us, is it do-able?

GG

Sure

by oz_media ·

In reply to Is this practical? *Need feedback* :D

Technology is there, but you are expectign IT staff to geton the same page? Godo luck. Most can’t even meet their maker when they die, without analyzing the intricacies of death first. You are looking at a bunch of people with no concept of time.

Ever seen a real IT department on a Sunday afternoon? They still think it’s Tuesday morning, with their bleached skin and big white eyes hidden from the glow eminating from the light across the steet.

But it’s fun too, if you ever want to get rid on the IT guys at work, just turn a light on and they scurry under furniture like cockroaches seeking dark cover. 🙂

A night out ( wooohooo)

by geordifc ·

Why not, I’ll be up for that, and there is no need to drop the toon speech, not our prob if they can’t understand a proper language!!

Let me know the rough details when you get sorted GG.

Why aye man!

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to A night out ( wooohooo)

(happy dance, nuther Geordie, happy, happy dance…do de do de do )

Geordie in Leeds? Doesn’t compute! Wotcha dein’ theore?

Y’areet marra?

If it’s areet wi’ yee, giz ya pm an’ aal put yaz on me lizt.

(happy happy dance….woohoo! happy GG!! :p )

GG

RE: Why aye man!

by geordifc ·

In reply to Why aye man!

Lived and worked down here for quite a bit, not to bad a place has some good ups and some very bad downs.

Cheerz

[post deleted by admin]

by tiggertwo. ·

[post deleted by admin. account suspended by admin.]

Message was edited by: The Trivia Geek

wow

by shellbot ·

In reply to [post deleted by admin]

no way?

Long way to go for a drink girl!!

[post deleted by admin]

by tiggertwo. ·

In reply to wow

[post deleted by admin]

by tiggertwo.. ·

[post deleted by admin]

Is “ho, ho, ho” self-descriptive.

by deepsand ·

Or, is that your ambition?

An imposter

by kiltie ·

In reply to wow

Check out the profile Shell

ah yes

by shellbot ·

In reply to An imposter

hhhmmm..

i do believe your right Kiltie!

*dang clones*

Look forward to greeting you!

by neilb@uk ·

I think a Glasgow Kiss would be appropriate!

😀

[post deleted by admin]

by tiggertwo. ·

In reply to Look forward to greeting you!

[post deleted by admin]

by tiggertwo.. ·

[post deleted by admin]

Looks like TR have ripped his ass right

by tony hopkinson ·

out of here.
          The one where spuddy admitted to being Neil pretending to be spuddy was almost convincing NOT.

I missed THAT one!

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Looks like TR have ripped his ass right

This [b]is[/b] me, by the way…

😀

How’s you going Spuddy?

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to I missed THAT one!

Just kidding Neil I couldn’t resist. 😀

But this clown doesn’t seem to take a hint. As it’s been removed as TiggerTwo. It’s now changed it’s Site Name to TiggerTwo..

OH well I suppose [b]Small Things Amuse Small Minds.[/b] :^0

Col ]:)

Not just out of here.

by deepsand ·

In reply to Looks like TR have ripped his ass right

If you follow any link to a post within a Discussion started by him/her/it, you’ll get the response “[i]Error: requested resource not found.[/i]”

TR has taken away all of it’s toys!

Not all

by rob mekel ·

In reply to Not just out of here.

But most of them. TR has removed his postings

On the one still in he used a double fullstop..

Rob

I was referring to TR’s having zapped entire Discussions …

by deepsand ·

where this miscreant was the root, as opposed to individual posts.

And, I’d already deduced that “TiggerTwo.” and “TiggerTwo..” were one and the same, a fact which will no doubt [b]not[/b] escape notice by TPTB.

The guy posted the lyrics to Berlin’s

by tony hopkinson ·

Take My breath away, so I was ripping him for lack of musical taste as well. I really wanted him to listen to Verbal Abuse as well.

Well, you know the old saying that “there’s no accounting for taste.”

by deepsand ·

Now, if he could produce guitar tabs on demand, then I might find it possible to tolerate his blatherings.

Unless …

by rob mekel ·

In reply to Look forward to greeting you!

A Glasgow Kiss is a blow with a jack-hammer (not just a hang-over but a real meaningfull blow) it’s right on the spot. 🙂

Rob

[i]Neil check this persons profile[/i]

ps Let’s not get the fun spoiled by an imposter 🙂

[i]edited for the ps[/i]

Rob, a Glasgow Kiss

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Unless …

is a head butt to the bridge of the nose.

“Can ye mammy sew? Well tell her to stitch that!”

THWACK!

This guy/gal/piece of crap is strange. I don’t see quite why anyone with even an ounce of what it takes to be human gets anything out of what he/she/(sh)it is doing.

So, TiggerTwo. (with fullstop), why? I’m really interested in why you do this.

😀

Oh my …

by rob mekel ·

In reply to Rob, a Glasgow Kiss

but right on the spot still 😉

Nice one Neil 🙂

Rob

[post deleted by admin]

by tiggertwo. ·

In reply to Rob, a Glasgow Kiss

Wrong ilness

by neilb@uk ·

Check out ASPD – sociopath is its popular name.

The symptoms fit you well:

1. failure to conform to social norms
          2. deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
          3. impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
          4. irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated fights or assaults (both physically or mentally)
          5. reckless disregard for safety of self or others
          6. consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain steady work or honour financial obligations
          7. lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another

If that’s what you are then be happy.

Interesting

by now left tr ·

In reply to Wrong ilness

Do these kinds of facets actually ‘count’ in terms of a virtual on-line personality?

There are no ‘physical’ aspects to consider.

Techmail: Of course they don’t

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Wrong ilness

I was merely pointing out that what is true is that Spuddy’s on-line persona is closest to that of someone who routinely vandalises phone boxes. He may have a shed-load of other on-line personae, some of them nearly as nice as me, but as this is the only one that I know, I thought I’d comment on it. I invited him to post his motive in attempting to pass himself off as another peer – however easy it was to spot – and he was the one who suggested mental illness. I was just agreeing with the reason but disagreeing with the finer point of the diagnosis…

He could be mentally ill.

He could be – most likely! – just an immature little arsewipe.

[post deleted by admin]

by tiggertwo.. ·

[post deleted by admin]

Now what’s this

by rob mekel ·

In reply to My Thanks to HAL 9000

Now don’t be 🙁 as Hall9000 just pointed out that other members of TR did know what he was babbling about.
        And … there are a lot of threads where Guru of DOS does participate in so… don’t be offended. As fare as I know Hal it’s meant the right way.
        [i]now I remember is there any way the right way to Hall ?:| :0 [/i]

Rob

[i]But then it’s friday and I can’t think straight anymore.[/i]

Have fun all 🙂

Hmmm

by now left tr ·

In reply to Now what’s this

Guess so, but the wording of 9K’s response hinted persecution.

You forget I’m an AI :p

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Hmmm

Persecution is when you walk into a lift and there is nothing there but air. 😀

Sorry if you took it the wrong way but I was mealy pointing out that [b]Guru Of Dos[/b] may be a good candidate for this meeting and when you seemed to take offence I didn’t want to offend any further. But just in case always look out for a lift in future before you walk through the door. :^0

unless ;)

by rob mekel ·

In reply to You forget I’m an AI :p

it’s the elevator door that slides open :^0

Rob

I prefer…

by now left tr ·

In reply to unless ;)

the escalator to nowhere myself.

hmm…

by onbliss ·

In reply to I prefer…

What about escalator to nowhere 🙂

It’s possible :D

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to I prefer…

All that needs to happen is that as you reach the end of the escalators the flap springs open and eats you then springs shut again so no one notices. :^0

I just hope that you have a lot of paper when I do this as you’ll need something to try to attract attention. No that wouldn’t be fair to give you a [b]Sporting Chance[/b] I’ll hit you when you least expect it and you’ll not believe its happened even after you are caught. 😀 :^0 😀 :^0

Escalators can be fun

by kiltie ·

In reply to I prefer…

Especially if you are a few rungs below a girl in a short skirt 😉

However, it is [u]more fun[/u] when a girl is a few more rungs below a guy in [i]a kilt[/i].

[i]Thus[/i] is revealed the mystery of [b]The Kilt Myth[/b]

😀 😀 😀

and gets a few giggles and blushes 😉 😀

EDIT: mismatched tags :8}

discovering kilt

by rob mekel ·

In reply to I prefer…

So it was just with the invention of the escalator that the lady-Scots-men discovered the use of a kilt ?:| :0
          [i]this must be the reason why the ladies like shopping so much (low inner voice) or is it still to rip off the guy’s (more clear inner voice) nah they all earn there own wages so they can rip off themselves :^0 ;)[/i]

my oh my, this will sure stir up things at the gathering medio 2007

The get_to_gether is gonna be a stairway to heaven 🙂 [i]or was it an escalator to nowhere 😀 [/i]

Rob

[i]dang emoticons[/i]

Sounds like a plan

by vawns ·

Sounds like a plan – I’d definitely be up for it 🙂

Then you, too,

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Sounds like a plan

are alzo on ze lizt!

PM me with your email address sometime, so I can keep you in the loop for dates, times and venues!

Hey! The more the merrier!

GG

[post deleted by admin]

by tiggertwo. ·

Are you related to Mrs. Miami?

by deepsand ·

He/She likes to shout, just like you.

This is just the scumbag wanna-be

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Are you related to Mrs. Miami?

this loser pops up every now and then, pretending to be someone that is relevant.

hasn’t worked yet.

How long has this been going on?

by deepsand ·

In reply to This is just the scumbag wanna-be

And, why was’nt I kept informed? You’d think that by now that someone would have noticed that I fade in and out here, and therefore might not be entirely up to speed at all times.

Jeesh, does a guy have to do everything for himself?

If you say so deepsand

by rob mekel ·

In reply to How long has this been going on?

but please keep it to yourself. :0 :^0 😉

Rob

So, it was your turn to be my eyes in absentia?

by deepsand ·

In reply to How long has this been going on?

Good help is so very hard to find these days.

PS – In re. your PM, I concur that it lusts after attention.

I’m assuming you’re up to date Sandy,

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to So, it was your turn to be my eyes in absentia?

but if not, you know where I am.

I seem to have forgotten my place on your rota – whom’s next on the “Eyes” list??!!

So.

As this thread was originally about a UK meetngreet, and you’re on the thread, I get the impression you’re interested….

When you getting over here then?

(Gotcha! :p )

GG

Be careful what you wish for.

by deepsand ·

In reply to I’m assuming you’re up to date Sandy,

My now deceased father always intended that, after WWII, he would accept Lord Beaverbrook’s invitation to return, with his 1st born son, as the Baron’s guests.

Said 1st Baron departed Surrey on 09JUN1964, during the brief interlude between my having graduated from high school and my being commissioned in the the U.S. Naval Academy 3 weeks later, so that meeting the Lord was not possible.

The 2nd Baron disclaimed the title a mere 3 days after his father’s death, with the 3rd not reclaiming the title until 1985; my father died in the interim.

But, as the current Baron is alive and well, and, at but 5 years my junior, of a very similar age as myself, he might be persuaded to honor his grandfather’s invitation.

Given the Beaverbrooks past and present presence in Canada, and so as to provide for a location more equitably located with respect to all Colonials, perhaps we could arrange for accomodations North of the border.

Was that a yes?

by gadgetgirl ·

or just a waffle?! :p

You’re more than welcome, you know that. Now, stop making excuses and start planning…..!! 😉

GG

A qualified yes.

by deepsand ·

In a perfect world, I’d not only be quite willing, but also eager to cavort about the globe and hang out with more than a few of the TR gang, including some who may not feel the same about me.

However, in the real world, my time is not quite my own, as witnessed by my frequent, and sometimes prolonged absences, from this place. And, sad to say, I am not so well heeled that I can prudently forego revenues that would belost during my absence, along with the additional expense incurred.

Hence the suggestion re. meeting in Canada. Not only is it more conveniently located, not for myself but for some others as well, but it really does have some great places, such as Montreal, that would be more than suitable for our needs.

Good suggestion Sandy

by jamesrl ·

I’m about 5 hours drive from Montreal. DMambo is closer methinks. But there are plenty of planes for those who live farther. I can probably write it off for business (my boss is there). If JD can make it to my place, I can drive him the rest of the way.

Montreal has good food – Great steaks, jewish deli, French, Italian.

James

Not to mention exceedingly friendly people, and …

by deepsand ·

fine beer halls.

Sandy and James

by tig2 ·

Onbliss and I have been talking about the possibility of pulling something together in MN as well. Perhaps we should take a look at a map and see if we can combine those efforts?

Sault Ste Marie is an easy drive from here. I will confess that I know little of Montreal except that I speak horrid French (but I TRY). We may be able to pull together a carpool or caravan to wherever.

So maybe we can combine effort and get the upper NA contingent in the same place.

Any thoughts?

My command of the French language is limited to but one vulgarity; but …

by deepsand ·

the French-Canadiens of Montreal seem to be more than willing to accommodate our not being bi-lingual.

Of course, Montreal is not the only candidate available. As our members to the North are those most familiar with that which Canada has to offer, and the more favorable times of the year for such a gathering, it would be prudent to solicit their advice.

Of course, they may be seeking to get away, as it were!

Tig, Sandy, James et al!

by gadgetgirl ·

Keep me in the loop for your meetngreet too!

I’ve got everything ready on my lappie to start using Skype, and intend having a practice over Xmas/New Year depending on work skeleton rota. The only thing I need to do before actually using it is to set up my account…..

Lets see if we can get to each others meetngreets by Skyping – hey I’ve even got my webcam working!

GG

Edit: Friday keyboarditis

TR continues to post 1 level higher than intended.

by deepsand ·

In reply to So, it was your turn to be my eyes in absentia?

This yet one more instance where TR linked my post to the level above the post to which I was replying.

1st it was the duplicate posts; now, this.

where do we stand?

by shellbot ·

so, have we date & location chosen yet?

and a running list of who’s all going somewhere?

Running List No. 1

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to where do we stand?

so, at end November, we have the following culprits – ooops, I mean greeters….

Stargazerr
        NeilB
        Kiltie
        Shell
        Geordiefc
        Tony Hopkinson
        Possibly Oz
        Possibly James
        Rob Mekel
        Chris Meacher
        Vawns
        and I did get a pm from a member but non-poster (not putting his name up here till he says I can)

0h – and me!

Hey! 13! My luckiest number!

That’s the total so far, but I’ve yet to pm GoD with the thread links as per Col’s request, so that could be another possible.

It seems that London is going to be best for everyone, so that seems quite settled.

As for the date: no specifics yet, but late spring/early summer does look favourite from the feedback I’ve been pm’d.

I think the best thing to do is to leave the actual date to be determined after the Xmas holidays so people can recover (figure/money/ credit status/disposable (drinking!) income) etc.

I’ll keep putting it to the top of the list, though, just in case there are any new takers.

Seems like a go-er to me!

😀

GG

What’s up with all this?

by m_a_r_k ·

In reply to Running List No. 1

Me being the lazy sort, I haven’t bothered to read all of the messages but I get the feeling that somebody is planning a party in the vicinity of London. As far as I’m concerned, any party without me just ain’t a party. I have quite a few vacation days that I need to blow. Maybe I’ll fly out there and turn this geek meet into a real live cacophony of a damn good time. Where and when? 😀

You’re definitely lazy, Mark! ;)

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to What’s up with all this?

If all you want is a quick synopsis, then read my original post, and the one above this one.

That’ll give you the general gist of things as they stand now (End Nov)

This ain’t just a geek meet, so you’re more than welcome! < :p >

We do have offers of rooms, I’ve already bagged one, but obviously if more of our overseas mates are heading this way, I’ll opt out and make other arrangements.

Let me know if you’re having serious thoughts, and I’ll put you on the hit list!

(providing you offer to bring some of those Texas steaks with you that JW used to go on about….. 😀 😉 )

GG

General Gist

by m_a_r_k ·

In reply to You’re definitely lazy, Mark! ;)

General Gist… I haven’t heard of him. Did he serve with General Patton and General Montgomery? Oh never mind…. I did read your original post and the one above the one above this one, aka two posts above this one. So I do have the general gist of things. I’m glad it’s not only a meet for geeks. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be allowed to join in the merriment. I’m halfway serious. I haven’t been to England in a few years so this might be a good excuse to go again. So keep me on your hit list. I hate to plan anything more than a couple of weeks in advance, and me being such a procrastinator and all, I probably won’t decide for sure until the last minute. Don’t worry about having to opt out of a room due to my procrastinations. I’m sure London usually has a few vacant hotel rooms that I can shack up in. Otherwise, there’s always the subway, aka tube, station.

The subway, aka tube, station

by rob mekel ·

In reply to General Gist

Not since the last attacks on them. 😉

London and it’s surrounding can be quit busy in spring/summer.

My brother lived in Worthing (near Brighton) in the late ’80 and early ’90.
          We went over a couple of times. As we visited London it was hell to find vacant hotel rooms, so be prepaired. 🙂

BTW great place to live, Worthing, nice beach and surrounding country-side 🙂 Some great historical places to visite to. 🙂

Rob

Worthing? Beach? Well, I have to disagree

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to The subway, aka tube, station

My boat is moored at Brighton, ten miles to the east, so I’ve been to Worthing more times than I can count. It has a fine, sandy beach but only if you define sand as made up of rocks smaller than four inches across…

We call it “shingle”.

Must admit that the surroundings are nice, though.

😀

Worthing, have to agree

by rob mekel ·

Well maybe it was Brighton beach. At first my brother lived about 150 mtrs from coastal road from Brighton into Worthing, just a right turn at the end of the road comming from Brighton. That is in 1990 it was. 🙂

Later on he and his wife lived in Brighton about 500 mtrs from the seafront and the place where the Iron Lady and here party were attacked.

Have you ever been to Chicester? Great glasworks 🙂

Rob

Chichester

by neilb@uk ·

We quite often do the “run” from Brighton Marina (our base) to Chichester Marina along the coast as they’re owned by the same company so we can tie up for free. Most of that coast is very pebbly, including Brighton, and the sand doesn’t really start until West Wittering way down ar the Chichester harbour entrance.

Not seen the Glassworks, though. I’ll look it up come next Summer.

😀

hmmmph.

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to General Gist

typical, Mark, just typical.

Not a bleedin’ word about the Texas steaks….

RATZ!!

GG

About the steaks

by m_a_r_k ·

In reply to hmmmph.

Don’t “hmmph” me, little missy! :p OK so I guess I forgot to bleed words about the steaks. And I didn’t mention bleeding steaks either. So you like your steaks rare, huh? Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the United Nations Ruling Commission on Trade, Commerce and Transportation of Foodstuffs Across International Borders have a regulation against transporting foodstuffs across international borders? Mad cow disease and the chicken flu and all that, you know. But who the hell pays any bit of attention to anything the UN rules on? However, unlike one infamous American, I respect international laws so I’d be happy to take an authentic replica of a Texas cowboy hat instead of the steaks (not to be confused with an authentic replica of a Dallas Cowboy football helmet). Would you be happy with that?

Well if this helps GG

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to hmmmph.

I had a tech from Switzerland sent out here via the US and the first night here I took him to his hotel and stayed with him for a counter meal in the pub.

He ordered a T Bone and I had to drag him away from the poor girl behind the bar when he was insisting that what had been given to him wasn’t a T Bone steak. Apparently he wasn’t used to seeing about 5 pounds of meat served up on a plate and was insisting that it was [b]Too BIG to be a T Bone.[/b] :^0

The last that I heard from him is that he wanted to return to AU because we had better meals here and everywhere else that he was sent he considered as punishment as he couldn’t live anywhere near as well as what he did in AU on his Swiss Salary. :p

Col

Offer accepted, Mark! :D

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to hmmmph.

To be quite honest, I don’t think I could cope with a Texas T-Bone. (Steak, I mean! :8} ) Had a T-Bone steak in Vegas, absolutely, thoroughly enjoyed it, but was totally defeated after the indulgence of clam chowder. (Another reason I could live over there – love clam chowder,steak etc….have a bit of bother with your beer, though!) Only got what you lot class as a small T-Bone steak, but only managed to consume around half of it…. Oh, sweet memories…. 🙁

But, as for a Texan hat – I’ll take that offer! What is it with you? Got a lead into my brain or something? I was just thinking of trying hats again, and was looking around for a Trilby or something like that to go with one or two outfits I just may wear for this meetngreet. And there you go offering a Texas hat! I’ll take it! Black, please, and when I find out what size I take, I’ll let you know! (Only possess one hat, it’s a one-size-fits-all type, so I have no idea what size I am! oh, and that’s enough of the “small, same as brain” remarks from all here……)

My contribution to this little party will be a batch of Geordie passports, and, I think, some limited edition Newcastle Brown Ale, if it’s available again. We’ll see!

You’re on the list and in the loop! Watch out for a “head size” pm sometime in the future!!

GG

re: Offer accepted

by m_a_r_k ·

In reply to hmmmph.

I don’t understand the metric system, so give me your hat size in the US measurement system. That might it seem like you have a huge head though if you convert meters of head circumference to whatever we use over here to denote hat sizes.

And I have no clue what this Trilby thing is. Would that be the Brit word for “transistor”? Jack K[u]ilby[/u] invented the integrated circuit by glueing together a couple of [u]tr[/u]ansistors, so maybe somehow you conjoined that and came up with trilby. You know, I dig chicks that wear transistors in their hair. :^0

I’ll agree with you that we don’t have much in the way of good beer over here. America is the proverbial melting pot of cultures and counter-cultures so I don’t know what would comprise the typical “American” meal (depends what part of this great country you live in) but it’s certainly better than fish and chips… (gag!).

Transistors in my hair?

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to hmmmph.

How dare you switch jd’s webcam on first thing in the morning!

No, Mark dear, THIS is the type of TRILBY I had in mind….

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j159/glamourgran/pink.gif

oh, and just [b] what [/b] is wrong with fish and chips (an’ mushy peas, too?) No, not every day, but a nice treat once in a while…

Then again, if you get over here, I could offer to do you something traditionally Geordie, perhaps – Sheeps’ heed an’ stotty cyek anybody?

Oh, and you want me ready converted, do you? Hmm. To what, exactly? Care to share???!!!

GG

Cute hat

by m_a_r_k ·

In reply to hmmmph.

Even cuter than transistors. For some reason transistors in a woman’s hair reminds me of a cavewoman with a dinosaur bone in her hair.

Sheep head and what?? Doesn’t sound too delicious but…erm…I am sure it is. ?:|

What’s this about being “ready converted”? That must be another of your famous double entendres b/c it went over my head.

Hey, even I wouldn’t eat that food!

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to hmmmph.

Sheeps heed n stotty cyek – boiled sheeps head made into thick soup with cereals, pulses and vegetables. It’s so thick you don’t need a spoon, you “dunk and suck” with the stotty cyek (flat ovenbottom bread cake)

I don’t eat that…..

Conversion – you said you wanted my hat size ready converted to US size…. I just wondered if that was the only thing you wanted converted???

(DD bra sizes convert to the same over there, don’t they?!)

GG

Metric bra sizes

by m_a_r_k ·

In reply to hmmmph.

Hell this is way out of my broad scope of knowledge but I’ll weigh in with an opinion anyway. Having never worn a bra, I may be mistaken but I think bra sizes take a difference between two different measurements to derive that ubiquitous letter (A :(, B :|, C :), D :D, etc.). That means you might have to use your centimeter to inch conversion again. Or in your case, being a DD :0 you’ll have to convert [b]meters[/b] to inches.

Holy Mackerel (excuse le mod)

by rob mekel ·

In reply to hmmmph.

Where will this end ;\ :0 😉
          Size GG :8} :0 😉

[i]okay I’m taking a duck over the weekend[/i]

Have a great weekend all.

Rob

[i]edited because … well you know it by now[/i]

I’m glad you posted this

by maecuff ·

In reply to What’s up with all this?

I’ve been meaning to read this thread, because I’m sure it’s interesting, but I’ve been busy and haven’t been able to..then you brilliantly ask for a summary which makes this easier..

tomaaaato taaamatto

by jdclyde ·

In reply to I’m glad you posted this

brilliantly, lazily.

funny how people say different words while they mean the same thing? :p

It all depends

by maecuff ·

In reply to tomaaaato taaamatto

on the person, right?

Brilliantly lazy tomatoes

by m_a_r_k ·

In reply to tomaaaato taaamatto

Actually, brilliant people can easily be lazy because knowledge comes so easy for them. I should know because I am brilliant.

Speaking of tomatoes, why doesn’t anyone say “potahtto”? Here’s another one. Americans accent the whole word “at” when we say “at all”. Brits accent only the ‘t’ like it’s all one word: “a[b]t[/b]all”. Sounds almost like “a tall”. What’s up with that?

Bud the Spud

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Brilliantly lazy tomatoes

If you want to hear an interesting pronounciation of ‘potatoes’, listen to Stompin Tom Connors, who grew up on Prince Edward Island, known for its potatoes.

He kinda says it like “pah day ders”.

And lots of Canadians say “a tall” instead of at all.

James

I am too

by m_a_r_k ·

Although I’ve been chewed out by one or two idiots around here for taking the lazy approach and asking for a summary. I figure why spend a half hour reading all the messages when I can get an equivalent bit of knowledge from a 5 second synopsis. And I love it when I unintentionally piss off some knucklehead who has nothing better to do in his life than worry about what other people are doing. :^0

Right time at the right place?

by jdclyde ·

In reply to I am too

Just happened to be looking for a dog that was needing to be kicked, and you “woofed” at just the right time! 😀

Not you, jd

by m_a_r_k ·

In reply to Right time at the right place?

I don’t recall you being one of the knuckleheads who have gotten bent out of shape. Although I’ve lost a few brain cells over the years. Maybe my memory has been slowly evaporating.

By the way, Mae (hey, that rhymesI)

by m_a_r_k ·

Are you gonna make the trip for the geek meet? If I go and you go, I’ll let you stow away in my suitcase and we can split the cost for my ticket. Erm… but that means there won’t be any room for the black cowboy hat that I was gonna take for GG. Maybe she’ll be satisfied with a simple spoonful of official Texas dirt that I can easily stuff into your pocket while your not-so-easily stuffed inside my suitcase which will be eaily stuffed deep within the bowels of the airplane?

As attractive as that offer is..

by maecuff ·

In reply to By the way, Mae (hey, that rhymesI)

I don’t want to be stuffed in a suit case. Actually, my husband and I have been talking about a trip to England as his sister lives there with her husband. I’m not really sure where she is, but I think the word ‘Cleve’ is in the name of the town.

If I’m still gainfully employed, we just might be able to make it.

Mae!

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to As attractive as that offer is..

Cleveland?

(not far from me!)

it’s the county name – come on, rack your brains and remember, girl!

😀

GG

No, I’d remember if it were Cleveland

by maecuff ·

as I live in Ohio and Cleveland is a rather large city in this state.

I’d ask my husband, but he won’t remember, he’s worse than I am. I’m going to have to have him call his mother, she’ll know where it is. I believe it’s about a 4 hour car trip from London, but not much more than that.

Clevedon?

by gadgetgirl ·

it’s the only one on Wiki …

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clevedon

miles away from me, dammit, but you could still get to London!

😀

GG

4 hour drive….

by jdclyde ·

is that before or after the time change? :p

I don’t know

by maecuff ·

I seem to remember there being multiple words in the town name. Or maybe that’s the name of her street. I don’t think it’s Clevedon. I’ll find out over the weekend and let you know.

Either way, I hope it works out, I’d love to be able to be there.

the scouse love monster

by greenmole ·

I dont mind your accent at all.

*UPDATE*

by gadgetgirl ·

Well, I said I’d raise this one after Christmas, but due to exceptional circumstances, it got left to after February!

So.

Any further Culprits? – sorry, takers? 😉

We need to start putting some general thoughts together about dates, so we can all get planned. General opinion seemed to be late spring/early summer (I’ll let the Global Warming Neil determine the exact dates……) so now seems to be around the right time to raise this one again.

As a lot of us will have transport to arrange, the next person who finds out when seats/schedules are released on the cheap flights/trains in and around the UK, can they please post that around here?

Drinks/meal/chat seem to be the order of the day, everyone ok with that? 😀

Any further thoughts from the peers “on the other side” as to whether they can make it?

One specific beg and plead from me here – please don’t make this anywhere between 04 August to 20 August, because if you do….. THEN I CAN’T GO!!

Post away, peeps….. :p

GG

Well

by steffi28 ·

In reply to *UPDATE*

Depending on where and when I may of course be tempted by the idea 😀

Well, I’m still up for a few beers

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to *UPDATE*

If we decide on the capital city, my offer to put up a couple of distant peers still holds. Gadget has first refusal. I have a two-bedroom flat and a sofa in sunny Croydon which I’m willing to contribute to the festivities…

Avoiding August – nice plan

by chris meacher ·

In reply to *UPDATE*

I run stock take, and prep + stock take itself takes up most of August so I’m quite glad this is avoided if poss. In fact I’ll be in stock take mode from 16th June (there’s a lot of organisign since everythings generally so disorganised to start with).

And if we could avoid May – I’ve got a few things on – I’m still up for it [snigger].

Can’t find the events listing in Computer Weekly at the mo’ – I’ll check next week to see if there’s anyhting we can overlap with.

Cheers

Chris

Viewing 19 reply threads