Windows

General discussion

Cannot Telnet from Windows 2000 Client

By The GeekGirl ·
We have a few old Unix boxes that we have to telnet or ftp to from time to time. We can telnet to them from a Windows NT workstation with no problem.
However, we cannot telnet from a Windows 2000 client. It tries to open a connection on port 23, and then eventually gives a message that the connection failed.
I know that Microsoft made major changes to telnet between NT and 2000.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by The GeekGirl In reply to

yes, I can telnet to other unix servers and to cisco switches.

Collapse -

by voldar In reply to Cannot Telnet from Window ...

Try using this free program - putty, it should very well work.
You can download it from here:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

(remove any spaces in the URL if any)

Collapse -

by voldar In reply to

And for what you say about the NT, be sure, this is not going to happen for W2K. Why? Because telnet NT does not have the native security as in W2K. Check also if you are working under a Kerberos authentification, if so, disable it, unless, of course, you don't want to use my other suggestion: putty :)

Collapse -

Thanks for the Putty suggestion. I tried it and it did not work. I then tried it from an NT box and it worked.
If you look in the posts above, you'll see that I am not using kerberos and have disabled the ntlm authentication in the W2K telnet client.

Collapse -

The first article did not apply--it was about a Windows 2000 Telnet server that was not accepting connections.
The second did not provide with any new info.
Thanks for trying.

Collapse -

by pcounsell In reply to Cannot Telnet from Window ...

Not sure how you are telneting, but if it is by ip or by name. Try putting that name and ip in your hosts file.