Question

Cant load XPPro on a 200 gig sata hd

By jpensmith ·
everytime I try to load XPPro on my 200 G HD. Once I get to the create partion part of the loading process my computer shuts off. I have an A8N-la MOBO and 4 gig of memory.and a 200 gig samsung hd.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

15 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Addendum to Answers

by ThumbsUp2 In reply to Missing from the SP2 CD?

Just so you know, Rick, there are many flavors of Windows XP. And, I'm not just talking about Home vs Pro or SP1, SP2, SP3. Each flavor has it's own installation requirements. I'll try to list them here, if I can remember them all.

(1) Windows XP Retail Full (Home or Pro): The original sold in a fancy retail box on the store shelf. It would only install on a clean, unformatted hard drive. If you tried to put it on a drive that was already formatted, it would squawk at you and then format the drive all over again. It would not install over the top of a previous OS. And, the original did not come with even so much as the slightest knowledge of SATA. That came later with service packs.

(2) Windows XP Retail Upgrade (Home or Pro): The original sold in another fancy retail box on the store shelf, but was ONLY used to upgrade an existing OS like Win98. It would check the hard drive for an existing OS to upgrade and refuse to install if it couldn't find that previous OS. It wouldn't upgrade WinNT or Win2K. Only Win95, Win98 and WinME (ugh!). Of course, there were ways to fool it into installing on a clean drive, but most people didn't know about those tricks, and still don't. This upgrade is what the majority of people purchased though when WinXP first came out. It was about $100 cheaper than the full blown WinXP retail. So, they just upgraded what they already had. The original WinXP Upgrade knew nothing about SATA either. And, as far as I know, it never changed even after SP1, SP2 and SP3 came out. The service packs still had to be purchased separately (or downloaded) and applied to the original upgrade.

(3) Windows XP OEM: Could be either Pro or Home, but it was ONLY to have been sold with custom built systems or major components like a MB or HDD. It wasn't for retail sales. If you purchased a major component like a MB, you qualified to buy an OEM copy of WinXP. The OEM version of WinXP came with no manual, no box, no instructions, nothing, except the CD in a plain white envelope and a CD KEY. It too, knew nothing about SATA. Manufacturers like DELL, HP, Gateway, eMachine, etc... did NOT furnish OEM copies of WinXP though. It was used by smaller Mom & Pop shops that custom built their own retail systems or by those of us who prefer to build their own systems. As the service packs came out, the OEM's were updated by Microsoft. So, you could purchase WinXP OEM SP1, WinXP OEM SP2, and now, probably OEM SP3.

(4) Windows XP Recovery C Each major manufacturer (DELL, HP, etc..) had their own versions of a recovery CD. Some of them included the installation files on the CD itself. Others only had routines that would extract the installation files from a hidden partition on the hard drive. In both cases, drivers for their specific equipment were included. In either case, the installation files were not as complete as the retail or OEM CDs were. They included JUST the files needed to get their particular system configuration up and running. All of the frills that were included on the Retail and OEM copies were missing. Some manufacturers went as far as including enough of the drivers so that one CD could boot several different models, but JUST those models. In other words, you couldn't use a DELL recovery CD to set up an HP computer, even if the installation files were on the CD and not the HDD. There is another difference between manufacturer's recovery disks. Some of them, if you boot to the CD, it will ask you what you want to do. With others, booting to the CD will start the recovery process, wiping the drive without asking and continue until it's done, no questions asked. I've only bumped into this last type one time and that's all it took for me to learn not to do it again. At least not from that manufacturer anyway.

(5) Windows XP, but NO CD AT ALL: This was the worst of the bunch, in my opinion. You buy a computer and were expected to create your own Windows Installation CD after you got it booted up and running for the first time. The instructions weren't very clear, so many people didn't realize they needed to create their own CD until after their HDD had already failed and they had lost the ability to do it. Even if they did create a bootable CD as expected of them, it would only return the system to the original configuration. So, if they had a catastrophe which took out the HDD and the video card both, they would have a hard time getting the system up and running again because the first boot would probably BSOD due to incorrect video drivers. Oh, it could be done. But, it wasn't for the faint of heart. Most ended up taking their system to a repair shop to get it going. Generally, these were the first WinXP machines, so the version of Windows on them was the original, no service packs. It wouldn't have included any knowledge of SATA unless the manufacturer had used a SATA drive in their build and included that with the files that built the CD.

So, as you can see, there are reasons why we ask, not only what OS they're installing, but what type of CD a person is using. Versions of XP (home or pro, sp's or not) as well as the type of CD (recovery, upgrade, retail, oem) all make a huge difference in how we advise someone. And, we can never assume that when someone says they're trying to install XP that they're using any one of the flavors above. We almost always have to ask, unless they provide the make/model of computer so we can make an educated guess based on our experience. Even then, we're occasionally wrong.

---

Collapse -

OK I'm at a loss here as well

by OH Smeg In reply to Cant load XPPro on a 200 ...

According to ASUS they don't have a A8N-LA M'Board never did and still don't. What they do have is a A8N with the following Suffixes

32-SLI
5X
E
SLI
SLI Deluxe
SLI Premium
SLI SE
VM
VM CSM
and finally a
VM CSM/NPB

But regardless some M'Boards support SATA and others do not however Windows XP never has Natively so you need to add a driver by pressing the F6 Key when the first blue screen appears.

However from what you say here the SATA Drive is being recognized but when it comes to formating it the system reboots without going through the Formating process is that correct? Do you see a Yellow line appear across the screen or not?

If you see the yellow line the system will reboot by itself with a Red line counting down to the restart. At that point you do not touch anything and especially do not press any Key when you see the Press Any Key to Boot off the CD Message you need to allow the Windows Install process to do it's thing and not be constantly restarting the XP Install Procedure all over again.

If you are not seeing a Yellow line moving across the screen at the Format Stage either the M'Board or HDD is faulty and requires attention so try the Sea tools utility to test the drive available from here

http://tinyurl.com/yvq99t

If the drive fails the test you need to check it again in another computer as it may be the M'Boards SATA Controller which is at fault so trying it in another Computer will check the HDD. If it passes both the M'Board and HDD are OK.

I hope that is useful to you.

Col

Collapse -

Well in that case Boxy

by OH Smeg In reply to Oh Smeg...

Why doesn't ASUS List the M'Board on their Web Site.

I didn't think I needed to Goggle when I knew who the maker was. ASUS doesn't even list the LA in the downloads for BIOS or Drivers. So I can only assume that Goggle is broken and finding incorrect Web Sites full of Typo's.

Col

Collapse -

A possibly flawed assumption

by nepenthe0 In reply to Oh Smeg...

Boxfiddler and ThumbsUp2 have taught me that assumptions are dangerous creatures. The URL Boxfiddler gave you is probably valid, because at the bottom you see Copyright 1996-2008 Geeks.com.

I have encountered the same phenomemon with Western Digital, which had posted no retail source for its new VelociRaptor HD. I located the HD at NewEgg.com and ordered it from that source, unable to obtain it directly from WD.

If you check the WD website, their new ultra high performance desktop HD (WD3000GLFS) is unlisted, yet I have it installed in my computer.

The lessons to be learned here:

1) Don't place unlimited trust in any one source of information;

2) When time and circumstances permit, try to verify the accuracy of web posted information by checking a corroboratory source.

3) There are 2 types of folks: those who have put a foot in their mouth, and those who will put a foot in their mouth. Trust me - I've just done it.

Rick/Portland, OR

Back to Hardware Forum
15 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02