General discussion

Computer account missing in AD 2003

By joshhansen ·
A computer account in Active Directory keeps disappearing. When this happens, no one can logon to that workstation unless they use a local user name and password (cached accounts don?t work either). To resolve the problem, we have to log on using local administrator, disjoin the domain (by joining a workgroup), reboot, then rejoin the domain. After rejoining the domain, all is well for a few days until it happens again. We have no proof that anyone is deleting the account from active directory. Any ideas what may be causing this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

20 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Computer account missing ...

that is a weird one. when you add another computer to domain (other than this box) it stays, right? because that would prove its not a ad replication thing...)
i like the network wiring problem theory but why would that take the account out of ad?
this probably has easy solution but hackles on back of my neck standing up a little.
you on latest 2k3 sp?

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

what's in the event log on the xp
how is the timezone and correct time on the xp
i found this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160324
Event ID 5721 after Deleting Computer Account

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to

maybe you'd like this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298143
How to Verify an Active Directory Installation

Collapse -

by joshhansen In reply to

The event log is not helpful with this problem.

Collapse -

by lmayeda In reply to Computer account missing ...

Had a similar situation on our network. The PC in question had McAfee Antivirus and Firewall installed. I uninstall the software and problem disappeared. Perhaps it was a conflict between the McAfee software and a Microsoft update... don't know. User claimed that no new software was added. I suggest uninstalling McAfee and see if that resolves your problem. In our case, I re-installed Symantec Corp but I would be interested to see if you can re-install McAfee and have it work.

Collapse -

We also McAfee but no firewall - the xp sp2 firewall is also disabled. We ended up reloading this machine from scratch and haven't had a problem since. It may be McAfee causing this somehow so i'll give you the points. Thanks

Collapse -

by jkn1ck In reply to Computer account missing ...

A couple of comments:

Check event log when it happens. Both Application and system logs. Next check that machine name has not been changed. My machine quit attaching to wireless when MSN Messanger updated. I removed the update and everything worked as before. (this shows in event log)

Collapse -

already did that. Thanks

Collapse -

by joshhansen In reply to Computer account missing ...

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

Missing computer accounts in AD

by juangp In reply to

This issue is resolved by ensuring that whatever firewall application (Proventia in my case) is not blocking the domain controllers from contacting the workstations, after a while, when AD can not communicate with the workstation, it will be deleted from AD.

Back to Windows Forum
20 total posts (Page 2 of 2)   Prev   01 | 02