Networks

General discussion

Dual boot with Windows Vista + Windows Server 2003

By emanueol ·
Hi all,

My typical machine configuration is a dual boot using XP for playing games and Server 2003 for work (im a developer).

Till now, the install order of several Windows versions in multiboot cfg was/is install from oldest version first and going up installing the newest OS version. So, in my case, I install XP and then after I install Windows Server 2003.

Ok, since i didn't had/wanted to install Vista betas, Im now wondering how can i have a dual boot fresh install with Vista and Server 2003 ?
(for the moment this is the topic im sharing with you all, in July 2007 when the new server version will come out then it will be time to investigate again how and i possible to have multi boot install using Vista + Longhorn).

Cheers, and look forward to see you comments
Emanuel

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Dont format or unistall the OS (no need)

by sangbaran In reply to Dual boot with Windows Vi ...

just use the windows Vista/2003 or XP cd to configure the dual booting options even without maintaining the installation sequence or unistalling the OS.
just boot the PC with the XP/2003 CD at the time of windows setup press R to move into recovery console
Use bootcfg command with the apropriate option to configure boot sequence, option required for dual booting
bootcfg /? for help
bootcfg /scan - to scan the memory for all available windows installation.
bootcfg /rebuild or /add for rebuilding sequencing or adding a new windows installation in different partition.