General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge-- 2/3/2000

By ebott ·
1. When you insert a CD into a Windows 2000 machine, it plays automatically. Other Windows versions make it relatively easy to disable this feature, but it?s buried in Windows 2000. Where?s the switch that turns off AutoPlay once and for all?
2. Windows 2000 includes a handy defrag utility. How do you schedule it to perform a defrag session automatically, at regular intervals?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

47 total posts (Page 5 of 5)   Prev   03 | 04 | 05
Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by ahermann In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Dear Mr. Ed Bott,

Although I couldn't find a straightforward option to disable AutoPlay for CD, setting this through the registry was simple. For the first time I was searching the registry I found the DWORD value named Autorun under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Cdrom. Changing this value from the default 1 to 0 solved the problem after rebooting the machine.

I couldn't succeed however with scheduling defrag. I thougth it would be easy with the built-in task schedule service but the Windows 2000 doesn't support running defrag from command line. Apparently the only way to configure defrag is to run it from the Start menu. I'm eager to learn what others may find.

Yours sincerely

Andras Hermann

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by PatB In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

This is located in the systems registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDROM
Change autorun to 0{Zero}

Collapse -

Collapse -

by computersanjuans In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

1) Turn off the feature in the CMOS in older OS systems. Win2K it is done by Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
On the Device Manager tab, double-click the CD-ROM branch, and then double-click the CD-ROM driver entry.
On the Settings tab, clear the Auto Insert Notification check box.
Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.

2)to schedule the defrag program to run automatically you would use the Task Scheduler:
Double-click My Computer, and then double-click Scheduled Tasks.
Double-click Add Scheduled Task, and then click Next.
Click a program (in this case it is defrag) that you want to schedule, and then clickNext.
Click a scheduling option under Perform This Task, click Next, and then click Finish.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
47 total posts (Page 5 of 5)   Prev   03 | 04 | 05