Windows

General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--4/27/2000

By ebott ·
A reader tells me he's ready to ditch his 6GB IDE drive in favor of a screaming 18GB SCSI drive. But he doesn't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Windows 2000 and all his software and customizations. What's the best way to move everything from his old drive to his new one so he can resume working without missing a beat? If a third-party utility is the answer, make sure it's compatible with Windows 2000.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by fpling In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

I agreed with those readers who suggested Norton Ghost to clone the existing data on EIDE drive to SCSI 18GB drive. However, a note of warning, use only Ghost 6.03 since it's compatible with Win2K. Check <a href="http://www.symantec.com/windows2000/grid.html">Symantec Products and Windows 2000</a> to verify this. After doing a partition of disk cloning, it is better to check the boot.ini to make sure the boot device is pointing to the new SCSI device.

Good luck!

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by balos In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Scenario 1: (provided that you have enough disk space/spare disk)
1. Do a full backup with Win2000 backup.
2. Do basic win2000 installation to the new disk.
3. Do full restore from the backup you created in step 1.
Note: Do not know whether it would work with IDE/SCSI swapping.
estimated time: from 4-8 hours, maybe even more.

Scenario 2: (provided that you have another computer with win2000/NT 4.0(?) at hand, capable of handling both disks.
1. Take the disk out and put it into anothermachine. Also put there the new disk.
2. Copy everything from the old to the new disk. Be sure that the first partition on the new disk is marked active.
3. Put the new disk in your computer and try to boot.
4. You might have to change drive letters when booting for the first time. Also, you might need to tweak boot.ini...
Again the same note: Do not know whether it would work with IDE/SCSI swapping. I think I have tried it on one computer and failed under NT 4.0...

estimated time (provided that everythi

Collapse -

Collapse -

by msullivan In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Win2k Server and above:
First Mirror the drives then break the mirror. Remove the original drive and use the Win2k repair utility to fix the boot files and mbr if necessary.

Win2Kpro:(A.K.A. the MS Answer)
Backup the original drive using Win2K backup. Direct the backup to the new drive. Remove the old drive. Install minimal Win2K on the new drive and then restore the backup.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by RWGoodson In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

All of the solutions offered so far cost a little bit of money...
If you are looking for the most cost-effective solution, why not add the second drive, Mirror the 6 GB Drive with a 6GB Partition on the second drive. After they synchronize, changethe boot.ini file to point to the new one and remove the old drive. Viola...New hard drive, no money spent!!!

Collapse -

Collapse -

by julian In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

ed:
I recently set up my system to dual boot win2000 and win 98. I didn't want to go through the hassel of reloading the system if after the install something fail so i ghosted the indivivual partitions with ghost 6.0. This worked also with a system that had only win 2000 on it and restored completely.
drive to drive ghost should work i have done it before with win 2000 and nt4 and 98.

jack salerno
julian@magicnet.net

Collapse -