Windows

Our forums are currently in maintenance mode and the ability to post is disabled. We will be back up and running as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

General discussion

Ed Bott's Microsoft Challenge--4/27/2000

By ebott ·
A reader tells me he's ready to ditch his 6GB IDE drive in favor of a screaming 18GB SCSI drive. But he doesn't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Windows 2000 and all his software and customizations. What's the best way to move everything from his old drive to his new one so he can resume working without missing a beat? If a third-party utility is the answer, make sure it's compatible with Windows 2000.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by omid919 In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

there is a programe called Ez-bios,(the main purpose of this software is to override your old Bios.)
One of the utils on this programe ( on the advance option) is that you can copy( make an exact image) of your hard drive on another Hard drive,. just hook it up to the same system.
(you acan find EZ-bios on any new HDD that you buy, it's on the companion disk.)

Collapse -

by ebott In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by rideguru In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Use Power Quest Drive Image Pro. Create the
boot floppies for it, then boot from them and
just follow the prompts. :-) If you attended
the Install/Config Win2000 pro 1 day course
that was offered, then a fully usable copy is
on the student materials disk. After the drive is imaged, then you will have to edit the boot.ini.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bgeng In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

Symantec has a program called "GHOST" that will format, and copy/duplicate one hard drive to another. Load it, run it, reconfigure and you should be off an comuting as if nothing had changed. By the way, follow the instructions, while not difficult, they do tell you what to do to ensure a flawless duplication. <wjg>

Collapse -

Collapse -

by tacquard In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

A lot of your answers seem to revolve around Norton and Symantec. Personally, I don't like their products. For the situation listed, I use Ontrack's DiskGo Disk Manager, which easily copies and entire hard drive to a new drive.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by jmarnett In reply to Ed Bott's Microsoft Chall ...

How about adding the second drive as a slave and leave the first drive in place. Then when new software needs to be added, it is simply added to the second drive.

I have another answer, this one cost money. There are disk duplicating hardwares inthe maket, these devices (worth around $700.00) will copy everithing in the old drive to the new. after this is done the computer should boot up with the new drve instead of the old with no trouble. I can not think of the brand name at this time, sorry.

Joe

Collapse -